Nightmares alternating between 2 bootup HDDs.. help?

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
so ever since I got Windows 7, i have had nothing but nightmares alternating between 2 hard drives.

before back when I was running XP I had 2 HDDs that I would alternate between. both had XP installed, one of which was for backup. whenever I had a problem with my current OS, I would just swap the HDDs and run my backup while I image the other screwed up one.

now with Windows 7, i cannot do that because of the STUPID bootloader. bootloader made me have nightmares at night. pretty much what happens when I swap it says "BOOTMGR is Missing". now whats really messed up is that, I think the PC stores the bootloader info NOT ON THE HDD, but somewhere in the BIOS or mobo. because i completely disable the old HDD that I used to bootup with 3 partitions, and the one im trying to boot up has 2 partitions and it worked perfectly. but since i used norton ghost and try to boot up after restoring a backup of 7 on it, it says "BOOTMGR is missing".

both of my HDD windows got screwed up, and even my CD ROM STOPPED WORKING! i couldnt even recover it from the W7 disk. but I maanged to fool the system by swapping CDs and finally got into the recovery and repaired one of my HDDs boot loader. but the one I need it to work within 2 days is still messed up. can someone explain to me how this bootloader works and what i need to do?

I got 7, XP, and Vista on SATA, and 7 and Ubuntu on IDE. both worked fine whenever I needed to swap between them until i messed with Norton Ghost :(

do i need to format my HDD and write 0s to it? it worked for my SATA that wouldnt boot up and give me NTLDR error before. same crap with W7 bootloader.

Solution
ok just pop in win 7 cd and boot with it then select repair it will fix the boot mgr problem... and na you dont need to format or anything just like i said after you repair it it should go back to be fine...

robustus64

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
ok just pop in win 7 cd and boot with it then select repair it will fix the boot mgr problem... and na you dont need to format or anything just like i said after you repair it it should go back to be fine...

Solution

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
worked for only my SATA drive. when i try to do it for IDE, cd wont boot up. it just keeps hanging on going in loops stuck on before "press this key to boot from CD".. it never even gets to that point.

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
the main problem is, my W7 wont boot up and gives me BOOTMGR crap error when i disable my SATA drive, which i want to disconnect from this PC eventually to put it in my mom's DELL that needs a SATA drive. i need to have that HDD hooked up to get into another windows.

what the hell? WHY DID YOU SCREW UP SO MANY THINGS BILL AND THEN YOU WANT US TO PAY YOU TONS OF MONEY FOR THINGS THAT ALWAYS BREAK! SCREW YOU!!!

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008

worked

i was actually using the wrong windows version. thanks.

p.s. my dvd drive was dirty so i had to clean its laser with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.