Computer to Yamaha home theatre system via Optical - what ..

Last response: in Home Audio
May 7, 2005 7:06:36 PM

Well instead of plunking hard cash down on an audio card and overpriced
poorly made PC speakers I decided zig where most zag. I bought a
Yamaha HTR-5730 and surround speakers. I hooked up the receiver via
optical link. Unfortunately, I am having a bear of a time trying to
listen to MP3's through all 5 speakers and the sub. I get all the
audio through the center and of course the sub picking up the base.
The other speakers are not putting out anything. Test tones work to
all the speakers so I am pretty sure that software settings on the PC
or the reciever should enable me to pump sound to all the speakers.
The menu settings on the reciever do not let me configure the optical
input for stereo so it seems like the PC is where this config needs to
happen. Unfortuantely, the setting for two channel audio does not
accomplish anything. Is there some pointers someone can throw out on
the table? Thanks.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 7:02:27 AM

cribis wrote:
> Well instead of plunking hard cash down on an audio card and
> overpriced poorly made PC speakers I decided zig where most zag. I
> bought a Yamaha HTR-5730 and surround speakers. I hooked up the
> receiver via optical link. Unfortunately, I am having a bear of a
> time trying to listen to MP3's through all 5 speakers and the sub. I
> get all the audio through the center and of course the sub picking up
> the base. The other speakers are not putting out anything. Test
> tones work to all the speakers so I am pretty sure that software
> settings on the PC or the reciever should enable me to pump sound to
> all the speakers. The menu settings on the reciever do not let me
> configure the optical input for stereo so it seems like the PC is
> where this config needs to happen. Unfortuantely, the setting for
> two channel audio does not accomplish anything. Is there some
> pointers someone can throw out on the table? Thanks.

What kind of sound card? There would be lots of software settings, some of
which would affect your output.

Mark Z.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 3:39:32 PM

In <1115503596.487779.60270@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, on 05/07/05
at 03:06 PM, "cribis" <chrisylvania@hotmail.com> said:

>Well instead of plunking hard cash down on an audio card and
>overpriced poorly made PC speakers I decided zig where most zag. I
>bought a Yamaha HTR-5730 and surround speakers. I hooked up the
>receiver via optical link. Unfortunately, I am having a bear of a
>time trying to listen to MP3's through all 5 speakers and the sub. I
>get all the audio through the center and of course the sub picking up
>the base. The other speakers are not putting out anything.

If you were using analog inputs and had the receiver in the Dolby
Surround (ProLogic) mode, then I would suggest that the source program
was a mono signal.

Are you using ONLY the digital connection between the computer and
receiver? If you are also using the analog connection, the receiver
(when you weren't paying attention) may have switched to the analog
input. Pressing the input button associated with the computer
successively, will scroll through the input possibilities. You should
leave it in "automatic".

This could also happen if you are sending a PCM signal from the
computer. While a Dolby Digital signal will be sent straight to the 5.1
speakers, a PCM signal (stereo -- not Dolby Digital) can be sent
through the receiver's ProLogic processor and a mono signal will appear
only on the center and LFE (subwoofer) channels.

>Test tones
>work to all the speakers so I am pretty sure that software settings on
>the PC or the reciever should enable me to pump sound to all the
>speakers. The menu settings on the reciever do not let me configure
>the optical input for stereo so it seems like the PC is where this
>config needs to happen. Unfortuantely, the setting for two channel
>audio does not accomplish anything. Is there some pointers someone
>can throw out on the table? Thanks.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)