why bother partitioning?

Dukebot

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I recently tried to partition my hard drive with partition magic 7.0. About halfway through partitioning it i had to turn the computer off. When I started the computer up the next time i was greeted with a message asking where command.com file was. so i popped in my win98 start up disk and eventually had to re-install windows 98. after installing win98. i checked the capacity of my hard drive and it is now 11.1GB instead of 18.9GB. I realised something was seriously wrong. i installed partition magic to see if i could reverse it somehow, but when i started pm i got a message saying "init failed: Error 117 Partition letter cannot be identified." so i opened partition info and it indentifies my 18.9GB HDD but in part type it has PqRP and below it is the partition i've got now with a part type of FAT32 and a size of 11429.1MB. Can i reverse this and make my hard drive have it's normal 18.9GB capacity? if so how do i do it? does it involve Partition magic's emergency diskettes?

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Man...!!
Why did you have to stop it?? That is really the badest thing you could have done.
If it happend me (like powerloss instead), I would reformat the whole drive and start from scratch...

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
what kind of drive? maxtor, WD, IBM, Seagate.....

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Just boot with the 98 bootdisk and Fdisk the dam drive. Under 900mhz 10gig partitions and over 1000mhz 20gig, better seek times. And less wear and tear on the drive from scanning from end to end. Let that be a lesson about toying with serious software you havent readup on.

Blame the newbies not the technology