P910i Contacts synch fails...

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
November 2, 2004 1:52:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Hi

Just tried to do a synch following my very first one (approx a week ago)
calendar synchs OK then Tasks synch OK. Then gets to contacts... "Adding
item xx" then "Transferring items to phone" so far so good.... a minute or
so passes then "Synchronistaion failed" "Device failed to add an item" when
I click OK the whole thing closes so the jotter notes dont even get a look
in.

I dont understand why it should work the first time and then fall over the
second time.

Whats upsetting is that my Psion 5 can still synch to OL contacts without
any problems, so why should the Sony get so far and then complain?

Any ideas?

TIA

Ian 8^(
November 2, 2004 10:25:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Ian Roberts reckoned that...
> Hi
>
> Just tried to do a synch following my very first one (approx a week ago)
> calendar synchs OK then Tasks synch OK. Then gets to contacts... "Adding
> item xx" then "Transferring items to phone" so far so good.... a minute or
> so passes then "Synchronistaion failed" "Device failed to add an item" when
> I click OK the whole thing closes so the jotter notes dont even get a look
> in.
>
> I dont understand why it should work the first time and then fall over the
> second time.
>
> Whats upsetting is that my Psion 5 can still synch to OL contacts without
> any problems, so why should the Sony get so far and then complain?

You should get the security warning from outlook, if you have other
windows open sometimes it doesn't come to the front, consequently the
above happens.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
SonyEricsson K700i unlock/unbrand - £22.50

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Jon" <spam@unlockingshop.co.uk> wrote
> You should get the security warning from outlook, if you have other
> windows open sometimes it doesn't come to the front, consequently the
> above happens.

If anyone syncs fairly often so gets the security warning coming up a lot,
try a small (93Kb) freeware program called Express ClickYes from
http://www.contextmagic.com/express-clickyes/

I've found it a great help when syncing my mail, contacts and calendar with
my iPod.

Seb
--
Sebastian Kinnaird
November 2, 2004 1:18:07 PM

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Just tried to do a synch following my very first one (approx a week ago)
> calendar synchs OK then Tasks synch OK. Then gets to contacts... "Adding
> item xx" then "Transferring items to phone" so far so good.... a minute or
> so passes then "Synchronistaion failed" "Device failed to add an item"
> when
> I click OK the whole thing closes so the jotter notes dont even get a look
> in.
>
> I dont understand why it should work the first time and then fall over the
> second time.
>
> Whats upsetting is that my Psion 5 can still synch to OL contacts without
> any problems, so why should the Sony get so far and then complain?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Ian 8^(

Thanks for replying guys.

Tried clickyes - a handy little utility (wish I'd known about it ages ago
for synching my Psion S5).

Unfortunately in this case it hasnt fixed the contacts synch problem with my
P910.

I didnt think it was an OL security prompt as I've had no other windows open
during the synch so nothing has been hidden. I even moved the synch progress
window to check behind that.

Another wonderful side effect of each failed synch is that I now have
several duplicates for many of my contacts. I originally started with approx
930 entries. It has now swelled to over 1700!!!

I suspect that one of the record fields is corrupted in some way which may
cause the synch to fail.

I guess I'll have to export the lot as a CSV and then edit it all in Excel.
Oh what joy - as if I have nothing else to do!

Anyone know of a utility to sniff out and delete the duplicates?

Thanks for any info.

Ian
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:26:09 PM

Ian Roberts wrote:
> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Just tried to do a synch following my very first one (approx a week ago)
>>calendar synchs OK then Tasks synch OK. Then gets to contacts... "Adding
>>item xx" then "Transferring items to phone" so far so good.... a minute or
>>so passes then "Synchronistaion failed" "Device failed to add an item"
>>when
>>I click OK the whole thing closes so the jotter notes dont even get a look
>>in.
>>
>>I dont understand why it should work the first time and then fall over the
>>second time.
>>
>>Whats upsetting is that my Psion 5 can still synch to OL contacts without
>>any problems, so why should the Sony get so far and then complain?
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Ian 8^(
>>

> Thanks for replying guys.
>
> Tried clickyes - a handy little utility (wish I'd known about it ages ago
> for synching my Psion S5).
>
> Unfortunately in this case it hasnt fixed the contacts synch problem with my
> P910.
>
> I didnt think it was an OL security prompt as I've had no other windows open
> during the synch so nothing has been hidden. I even moved the synch progress
> window to check behind that.
>
> Another wonderful side effect of each failed synch is that I now have
> several duplicates for many of my contacts. I originally started with approx
> 930 entries. It has now swelled to over 1700!!!
>
> I suspect that one of the record fields is corrupted in some way which may
> cause the synch to fail.
>
> I guess I'll have to export the lot as a CSV and then edit it all in Excel.
> Oh what joy - as if I have nothing else to do!
>
> Anyone know of a utility to sniff out and delete the duplicates?
>
> Thanks for any info.

If you know Perl programming language, or know someone that might,
that's the kind of thing that'd take about 5min to write.
November 2, 2004 4:59:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

sorry@NOSPAM.com reckoned that...
> I guess I'll have to export the lot as a CSV and then edit it all in Excel.
> Oh what joy - as if I have nothing else to do!
>
> Anyone know of a utility to sniff out and delete the duplicates?

I would get them right in outlook first, export to a CSV for backup
purposes then sync. If it fails simply delete everything from phone and
outlook, re-import your CSV and repeat ad-nausuem!
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Anonymous

Jon wrote:
> sorry@NOSPAM.com reckoned that...
>> I guess I'll have to export the lot as a CSV and then edit it all in
>> Excel. Oh what joy - as if I have nothing else to do!
>>
>> Anyone know of a utility to sniff out and delete the duplicates?
>
> I would get them right in outlook first,

I've used Outlook Duplicates Remover, free from
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/contacts.htm#dupes
!