philthy21

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hello,I would like to connect my Astone AP300 to my laptop via wireless...is this possible with a dongle and how do I connect...thanks Phil

RealBeast

Titan
Astone AP300 supports a wireless connection via a USB dongle in it. Do you have a wireless router? If so you should be able to connect through the router to the laptop. If not, set your laptop wireless to ad hoc mode and you should be able to connect to the Astone. You could also add a wireless USB dongle to the laptop and connect to it in ad hoc mode.

philthy21

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Hi thanks for the reply,I really appreciate any help...my laptop is connected to the internet through a d.link router...and I want to access the Astone to get away from disconnecting every time I want to add movies etc...I dont understand the ad hoc reference ...if you could explain and maybe directions I would appreciate it...thanks.
Regards,philthy

RealBeast

Titan
So your router is wirelessly connected to your laptop?

Do you have the Astone AW-N290 USB 802.11n wireless dongle attached to the AP300?

That would be the best solution.

An ad hoc wireless connection is just one where you use wireless adapters without a router, usually to connect to other nearby adapters -- but all involved adapters would be in ad hoc mode and not infrastructure, i.e. routers and DHCP address assignment. Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad-hoc_network

philthy21

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Thanks once again..what I purchased was a WiFi Wireless N 300M....Astone/Noontec Media dongle..and was assured that it was compatible..I still dont know how to ...or if I can connect to my laptop...if the dongle you suggested would work I would happily buy one..
Regards, philthy21

RealBeast

Titan
That model should work, just a newer version it seems.

Once you plug the dongle into the USB slot in the back of the Astone, you need to configure the Astone to settings that work with your wireless network, including your security key.

Don't worry about setting up a connection to your computer yet -- get a connection from the Media Player to the router. The manual should have a section on configuring correctly -- probably needs the gateway address or possibly even a static address.

jnrstotts

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

OK Thats done now if you could tell me how do I get the connection from media unit to my laptop wirelessly

JimmyPG

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
I'm wondering whether it can work with N300 USB dongle on AP-300.
Do I have to find an old version N290?