Newer video card for older system

G

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me find a newer video card for my daughters older system? Its an IBM Aptiva 2170 550.I replaced it once, Which Ibm said it wasnt possible to upgrade the video card, It originally had a Number nine sr9 video card in it. I replaced it with a Hercules 3d prophet geforce 1 a couple of yrs. ago now it has quit working, so I had to put the old Number 9 back in. The problem is, when I got the hercules card it wouldnt work in the aptiva so I had to send it back to Hercules and they sent me another one which finally worked. But I dont wanna go thru that mess again. The agp port in this system is 1.0 compliant but the Hercules card ran just fine until for a couple of yrs. til it just quit. I also have a geforce2 mx in another system which I have tried in the aptiva but it will not post or boot with that card, I also have a gainward G3 Ti450 which I tried in it also, it posted and booted up but would not load windows. anyone have any Ideas? I would like to get at least a Geforce3 comparable video card for her aptiva.

Thanks in advance, CCarver

G

I remember the old APTIVA desktops,,,, first of all i think that its crazy putting in a GF3 or equal card coz it would be a waist (other components) It would be pointless putting in a GF4 as the GF3 is much better ! (most will agree) & reading the reviews on pcgamer.co.uk. The card that i would recomend is the NVIDIA (stick with them) TNT2 range ie:... TNT2 AGP 64MB. The card wont cost you an limb , but you will get an matched performance (in moast games) of cards like the lower end GF3 & 4. The TNT2 AGP card has AGP 2.0 & 4.0 with i think that you can change you PC BIOS to suit. This card is good/above standard in its class & will do the job neatly. But this card dosn't have T&L or ANTIANILIZEING (however you spell it) Bt if you can RUN COMANCHE 4 (chopper sim) with a smooth back-side witch needs T&L then it cant be bad ,,, can it ?. They are about 35 pound's from moast places inc :.... www.specialreserve.net. (24hours delervery) reviews on the card are on this site under search : TNT/2. If you want to GO a little higher then try the GF3 again & download (get your hands on a supporting application from the manufactures website & set it up opn another pc IE :... take out the dard drive & put it as slave on another pc as the MOTHER BOARD might be causeing the prblem ! Hope you get on ok.

linux has got to be better !

G

I remember the old APTIVA desktops,,,, first of all i think that its crazy putting in a GF3 or equal card coz it would be a waist (other components) It would be pointless putting in a GF4 as the GF3 is much better ! (most will agree) & reading the reviews on pcgamer.co.uk. The card that i would recomend is the NVIDIA (stick with them) TNT2 range ie:... TNT2 AGP 64MB. The card wont cost you an limb , but you will get an matched performance (in moast games) of cards like the lower end GF3 & 4. The TNT2 AGP card has AGP 2.0 & 4.0 with i think that you can change you PC BIOS to suit. This card is good/above standard in its class & will do the job neatly. But this card dosn't have T&L or ANTIANILIZEING (however you spell it) Bt if you can RUN COMANCHE 4 (chopper sim) with a smooth back-side witch needs T&lL then it cant be bad ,,, can it ?. They are about 35 pound's from moast placen inc :.... www.specialreserve.net. )reviews on the card are on this site under search : TNT/2. If you want to GO a little higher then try the GF3 again & download (get your hands on a supporting application from the manufactures website & set it up opn another pc IE :... take out the dard drive & put it as slave on another pc as the MOTHER BOARD might be causeing the prblem ! Hope you get on ok.

G

Darn thing it was only ment to reply once ! LOL !

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the reason the faster cards didn't work may be a lack of power to the AGP slot. Then again, that wouldn't explain the MX not working. If you have access to a GTS you could try in it, that's as far as I would go, if it works.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?