Storage of speakers

Focal 7K411,5K411,T90Tdx

If I put them in the attic. It gets hot up there in the summer and cold
in the winter. Will this damage the drivers, therefore, should I try to
find some room in the house that is air conditioned and heated or it
doesn't really matter?
5 answers Last reply
More about storage speakers

    NGS wrote:
    > Focal 7K411,5K411,T90Tdx
    >
    > If I put them in the attic. It gets hot up there in the summer and
    > cold in the winter. Will this damage the drivers, therefore, should
    > I try to find some room in the house that is air conditioned and
    > heated or it doesn't really matter?

    If they have foam surrounds on the drivers, there's little you can do to
    keep them pristine. They're gonna rot. Extremes of any kind (temperature,
    humidity) will accelerate the process. If you can't keep using them, you
    might look into selling them and buying a new set when you need them.

    Speaking from experience....

    jak

    In article <9ocge.17929$RG2.5356@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
    jakdedert <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >> If I put them in the attic. It gets hot up there in the summer and
    >> cold in the winter. Will this damage the drivers, therefore, should
    >> I try to find some room in the house that is air conditioned and
    >> heated or it doesn't really matter?
    >
    >If they have foam surrounds on the drivers, there's little you can do to
    >keep them pristine. They're gonna rot.

    I read an interesting report, a few years ago. It's not something
    I've followed up on myself, and so I can't swear to its correctness or
    to the safety of what was proposed. Use the following at your own risk.

    Anyhow: what the report said, is that the cause of foam-surround rot
    can, in some cases, be just that: rotting, in the biological sense.
    It seems that the gas-expanded plastic foam used in these surrounds
    can be attacked by certain species of fungus, which literally digest
    it over a period of years. Humidity and heat speeds the decay.

    The report stated that treating one speakers' surrounds with a
    fungicide (athlete's foot powder, active ingredient not mentioned) seems
    to have greatly extended the lifetime of one set of surrounds.

    The foam is also vulnerable to UV, and I suspect to ozone as well. I
    have little doubt that any foam-surround speaker will fail,
    eventually, due to one or another form of deterioration of the surround.

    --
    Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO

    Dave Platt wrote:
    > In article <9ocge.17929$RG2.5356@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
    > jakdedert <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >

    >>>If I put them in the attic. It gets hot up there in the summer and
    >>>cold in the winter. Will this damage the drivers, therefore, should
    >>>I try to find some room in the house that is air conditioned and
    >>>heated or it doesn't really matter?
    >>
    >>If they have foam surrounds on the drivers, there's little you can do to
    >>keep them pristine. They're gonna rot.
    >

    > I read an interesting report, a few years ago. It's not something
    > I've followed up on myself, and so I can't swear to its correctness or
    > to the safety of what was proposed. Use the following at your own risk.
    >
    > Anyhow: what the report said, is that the cause of foam-surround rot
    > can, in some cases, be just that: rotting, in the biological sense.
    > It seems that the gas-expanded plastic foam used in these surrounds
    > can be attacked by certain species of fungus, which literally digest
    > it over a period of years. Humidity and heat speeds the decay.
    >
    > The report stated that treating one speakers' surrounds with a
    > fungicide (athlete's foot powder, active ingredient not mentioned) seems
    > to have greatly extended the lifetime of one set of surrounds.
    >
    > The foam is also vulnerable to UV, and I suspect to ozone as well. I
    > have little doubt that any foam-surround speaker will fail,
    > eventually, due to one or another form of deterioration of the surround.

    The focals are rubber surrounds BUT I am using a pair of Green Mountain
    Audio Europa that are foam and I don't see the harm in brushing on some
    dr scholls so I'll do that tonight thanks for the tip. As for the
    rubber surround focals for a future project I guess then that heat won't
    really do much to them except maybe make the spider brittle if I leave
    them several years so one summer won't be bad. Thanks.

    NGS wrote:

    > Focal 7K411,5K411,T90Tdx

    Units or systems? - if units, store face down, protect against dirt,
    protect against sunlight, keep dry. Ex works they traveled in plastic
    bags inside cardboard boxes. Face down is critical, it ensures that the
    membrane will not loose its centering due to gravity and that the
    surround will not sag so much that front-back center position gets way
    wrong or that it gets permanently stretched.

    > If I put them in the attic. It gets hot up there in the
    > summer and cold in the winter. Will this damage the drivers,

    Condensation in the transition from hot to cold is problematic, also
    because of the perhaps relevant risk of rust.

    > therefore, should I try to find some room in the house that
    > is air conditioned and heated or it doesn't really matter?

    Storage considerations match the considerations for clothes real well.
    If systems, dismount cone drivers and similar, bass slave units if any
    included, and do as suggested above.

    No warranty of any kind, apply suggestions entirely on your own
    responsability.

    Kind regards

    Peter Larsen

    "NGS" <NGS@telrizon.com> wrote in message news:O5ege.666$Ee6.313@fe12.lga...
    > Dave Platt wrote:

    They will be quickly destroyed in the attic.
    Aging at perhaps 10X or more than normal.

Speakers Storage Audio