Sign in with
Your question

D-link forums

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 23, 2012 4:35:37 AM

Hello,
I have had nothing but trouble trying to get my DCS-932L camera to function correctly. After speaking with 3 tech support agents from other countries, I would like to know if anybody has found a way to speak to a native English speaking agent? I asked the last tech that question and he gave me an 800 number--turned out to be a bank! Devious fellow.

Thanks,
Richard

More about : link forums

May 23, 2012 10:16:25 PM

Not really, but what issues are you having with the setup?

Are you trying to run the wizard for setup or do it manually? Windows 7?
m
l
May 31, 2012 4:28:02 AM

Running Windows 7 and used the Dlink wizard for setup. Each time I go to 'mydlink' to view the camera, I receive a message that 'Dlink java application is needed'. So, I updated the java to version 7 update 4 (which is the most recent). But, it still gives me the same message and takes about 30-60 seconds to load the applet each time. Other times it just spends several minutes 'attempting to connect to device'. If I successfully connect, the 'live' image has a 30-60 second delay (I get my wife to walk in front of the camera while I am a few feet away on the computer).When I attempt to go to the 'advanced settings' I receive a message that 'content was blocked because it did not have a valid security certificate'. So, I am unable to look at the advanced options to see if there are any changes or tweaks I can perform that may help. I want to be able to send the images to my email (motion detection feature). None of the techs (4 now) have any suggestions other than contacting the computer manufacturer.

Thanks,
Richard
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 31, 2012 7:34:58 AM

just out of curiosity, have you tried it on another computer? Did it work okay?
m
l
May 31, 2012 2:51:41 PM

I would suggest checking your network settings for the camera. The configuration page called Device Info tells you pretty much all the important settings.

What happens when you enter into your browser 192.168.0.20 (unless you changed the camera address on install then use that address) user admin and no password unless you already created one? {the camera assumes that it is on a 192.168.0.x network}

You should get a d-link camera configuration page.

You can either choose ActiveX (and then use MS Internet Explorer since Firefox does not support that) or Java, then go through and check your network settings for the camera.

The key is to get it on the same network range as your current network. What is your current gateway address? (just type ipconfig into the command prompt box to see) Also your camera needs to have your wireless security key entered. And the camera needs to have the correct wireless channel -- the default is 6, but your network may be on a different channel.

I generally do not use wizards for set up as they often create erroneous settings -- you can do the manual step by step configuration by going through the configuration pages with your manual next to you (it is quite clear and has pictures for the config pages).

To do the initial set up, if you don't have a wireless connection, attach the camera to your computer with an Ethernet cable to start -- once all the network and wireless settings are connect and it works on a cable, then move along to wireless.
m
l
June 7, 2012 5:29:20 PM

nhasian said:
just out of curiosity, have you tried it on another computer? Did it work okay?

Yes, I tried on my laptop (running Windows XP) and had all the same issues.
m
l
June 7, 2012 5:51:34 PM

RealBeast said:
I would suggest checking your network settings for the camera. The configuration page called Device Info tells you pretty much all the important settings.

What happens when you enter into your browser 192.168.0.20 (unless you changed the camera address on install then use that address) user admin and no password unless you already created one? {the camera assumes that it is on a 192.168.0.x network}

You should get a d-link camera configuration page.

You can either choose ActiveX (and then use MS Internet Explorer since Firefox does not support that) or Java, then go through and check your network settings for the camera.

The key is to get it on the same network range as your current network. What is your current gateway address? (just type ipconfig into the command prompt box to see) Also your camera needs to have your wireless security key entered. And the camera needs to have the correct wireless channel -- the default is 6, but your network may be on a different channel.

I generally do not use wizards for set up as they often create erroneous settings -- you can do the manual step by step configuration by going through the configuration pages with your manual next to you (it is quite clear and has pictures for the config pages).

To do the initial set up, if you don't have a wireless connection, attach the camera to your computer with an Ethernet cable to start -- once all the network and wireless settings are connect and it works on a cable, then move along to wireless.

OK, I was able to get to the config page by using 192.168.1.104 and selected ActiveX. However, as soon as I leave the config page, I lose that setting. When I go back to that page using that IP address, neither ActiveX nor Java is selected.

I used the WPS Setup option initially and have tried to reset and went through the process again. Still have the same problems. Whether I use the desktop, laptop or smart phone, it always tries to install a Java app, although I have the latest version already installed. Then when I try to access the config page--thru the website--it tells me the security certificate has errors and only brings up a page that all the tabs (video, audio, etc) take me to blank pages.

The worse issue is that there is no customer service. I call 4 or 5 times each weekend and--after being on hold for several minutes--receive a message that due to heavy call volume, call back another time. When I actually reach people during the week that are almost clueless about there product and continually tell me to contact the computer manufacturer.
m
l
June 7, 2012 8:07:42 PM

Are you using IE to access the configuration page to change to ActiveX?

I would not suggest using the WPS setup option, I would set all of the settings manually. Do you have the 192.168.1.104 address as a reserved dynamic address in your router, or as a static address outside the DHCP assignment range? Did you enter the wireless security key and insure that your camera is using the same radio channel as your wireless radio in the router?

What is your router gateway address, I would assume 192.168.1.1.
m
l
June 8, 2012 8:46:13 PM

RealBeast said:
Are you using IE to access the configuration page to change to ActiveX?

I would not suggest using the WPS setup option, I would set all of the settings manually. Do you have the 192.168.1.104 address as a reserved dynamic address in your router, or as a static address outside the DHCP assignment range? Did you enter the wireless security key and insure that your camera is using the same radio channel as your wireless radio in the router?

What is your router gateway address, I would assume 192.168.1.1.

It's difficult to set manually, since I don't understand most of the cryptic questions that must be answered. I learned about the address while speaking with customer service. They are just numbers to me (other than the fact that they take me to the config page).

I use IE to access the config page. I set it to ActiveX--but must select it every time since the choice doesn't remain selected.

Don't know what the router gateway address is, but if the product is advertised as plug-n-play and easy setup, why do I have to know all these things? And why wouldn't customer service be able to determine the necessary settings and walk me through them?

Thanks,
Richard
m
l
June 8, 2012 10:15:07 PM

Better to learn a little basic networking than to have to deal with folks at customer service that know less than you. Is it more fruitful to spend hours trying to call support, which is no help, or to just figure it out and learn something that will be of value forever?

And what is your router gateway address?

It is easy to obtain, simply open a command prompt window and type ipconfig -- it will tell you your IP address, mask, and gateway address. The key is that all of your devices are on the SAME network, all have the correct gateway, and that your wireless radio channel and passkey are all entered correctly.
m
l
June 10, 2012 2:59:17 PM

I ran ipconfig--but nothing specifically mentions 'router gateway'. Under the ethernet adapter section there was a 'default gateway' 192.168.1.1 Is that what you were requesting? I was going to attach a screen dump of the ipconfig results--but couldn't figure out how to attach it.

Richard
m
l
June 10, 2012 4:23:07 PM

Yes that is the router's gateway address. You should type that into your browser to view your router's network settings. Make the camera address a reserved dynamic address, or if you router lacks address reservation, then insure that the static address assigned is outside the DHCP address assignment range.

Also check that your wireless channel is the same as that for the camera -- I think the default channel for the camera is 6. And check your security passkey so you can enter it into the camera.
m
l
!