Sign in with
Your question

VPN Routing Query

Last response: in Networking
June 14, 2012 10:26:11 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been out of networking for a few years now and attempting to setup a VPN. I have purchased two Draytek Vigor 2830 routers. The VPN is setup and works a treat however I have a routing problem access the network from the remote site.

Here is my setup:

Host Site Remote Site

IP: 10.0.0.100 10.4.0.254
Subnet: 255.255.0.0 255.255.0.0
WAN Static IP: xx.xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx.xx

Remote Network IP: 10.4.0.254 10.0.0.0

According to the Draytek VPN setup guide (http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup.html) I should use different IP address ranges but as each site has already been configured I need to keep the IP address.

Can anyone advise me what I'm doing wrong? The remote site can see the hosts site router (10.0.0.100) but not any PC's/Network devices on the network (e.g 10.0.0.1).

Any help much appreciated as I swear it's just a simple case of changing one setting.

Cheers

J

More about : vpn routing query

June 14, 2012 11:59:17 PM

You can NOT use the same network on both sites! That's not a suggestion, it’s a requirement!

The internet and TCP/IP depends on every computer having a unique IP address. Having the same IP scheme accessible from two different networks is like having two places in the country w/ the same physical address. So where should the postal service deliver your mail? You can't do it, not if you want it to work correctly.

The only reason each of us at our home networks are able to use the same networks (e.g., 192.168.1.x) is because normally they can't see/access each other. We're separated from each other by the greater internet, so it doesn't matter if I use 192.168.1.x in Los Angeles, and you use 192.168.1.x in London. But it matters a lot if we subsequently attempt to join those networks over a VPN. Now we have a conflict; two routers claiming the same addressing space. No can do. One of you MUST change!

Yeah, I know it sucks and can be problematic, esp. if you don’t control the network addressing scheme, but that’s just a requirement of getting the VPN to work correctly.

!