max. length of a line-out cable

Last response: in Home Audio
May 15, 2005 10:15:12 PM

Hi,

what is the max. length for a line-out cable between a PC-Soundcard and an
amplifier?
What type of cable should I use for a distance of 20 - 25 meters?

Is a wired cable with a cross-section of 0,6 meters ok?
Example: J-Y(St)Y 4 x 2 x 0,6mm

Markus

More about : max length line cable

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 10:15:13 PM

"Markus Nerf" wrote ...
> what is the max. length for a line-out cable between a PC-Soundcard
> and an amplifier?
> What type of cable should I use for a distance of 20 - 25 meters?
>
> Is a wired cable with a cross-section of 0,6 meters ok?
> Example: J-Y(St)Y 4 x 2 x 0,6mm

Depends on...
1) Output impedance of your source (your sound card, unidentified)
2) Parallel capacitance of the cable (for whatever length)
(these determine what high-frequency rolloff you will encounter)
3) How much high-frequency loss you can tollerate for your situation

.... and likely several other considerations.

OTOH, off the top of my head, it is worth a try with your specified
cable.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:29:58 PM

"Markus Nerf" <mail@markus-nerf.de> wrote in message
news:D 67shp$nun$1@svr7.m-online.net...
> Hi,
>
> what is the max. length for a line-out cable between a PC-Soundcard and an
> amplifier?

Depends on he soundcard. If a balanced output, chances are it has a good
drive capability and 25 metres shouldn't be a problem. If mini-jack output
or other unbalanced output, I would not be inclined to go more than 2 metres
without a line driver box.

> What type of cable should I use for a distance of 20 - 25 meters?

Only screened balanced cable (with line driver if nmot balanced output).

> Is a wired cable with a cross-section of 0,6 meters ok?

You'll never be able to lift it.

> Example: J-Y(St)Y 4 x 2 x 0,6mm

That sounds better.

geoff
May 16, 2005 12:29:59 PM

Geoff Wood wrote:
> "Markus Nerf" <mail@markus-nerf.de> wrote in message
> news:D 67shp$nun$1@svr7.m-online.net...
>> Hi,
>>
>> what is the max. length for a line-out cable between a PC-Soundcard
>> and an amplifier?
>
> Depends on he soundcard. If a balanced output, chances are it has a
> good drive capability and 25 metres shouldn't be a problem. If
> mini-jack output or other unbalanced output, I would not be inclined
> to go more than 2 metres without a line driver box.
>
>> What type of cable should I use for a distance of 20 - 25 meters?
>
> Only screened balanced cable (with line driver if nmot balanced
> output).
>> Is a wired cable with a cross-section of 0,6 meters ok?
>
> You'll never be able to lift it.
>
>> Example: J-Y(St)Y 4 x 2 x 0,6mm
>
> That sounds better.
>
> geoff

I ran 35 feet from my computer to the main stereo and was convinced I could
hear the loss. Ran a coax digital instead and am converting at the other
end.

Mark Z.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 3:35:19 PM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> writes:

> "Markus Nerf" <mail@markus-nerf.de> wrote in message
> news:D 67shp$nun$1@svr7.m-online.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > what is the max. length for a line-out cable between a PC-Soundcard and an
> > amplifier?
>
> Depends on he soundcard. If a balanced output, chances are it has a good
> drive capability and 25 metres shouldn't be a problem.

True.

> If mini-jack output
> or other unbalanced output, I would not be inclined to go more than 2 metres
> without a line driver box.

This depedns on the soundcard.
Many PC soundcards line outputs have quite low output impedance
(to allow them to drive headphoes etc..). Such low output impedance
output on soundcar can easily drive some distance of cable without
too much problems. Around 10 meters has not normally been a problem
when carefully done.

The unbalanced audio output of PC soundcard travelling trough
a bnormal audio cable can quite easily pick up all kinds of noises
from outside, most typially humming noise... Depends how fat
from power wires you keep the cable and how you have wired your
power to your equipment if this is a problem or not.

A proper linde driver box that outputs balanced output is the
best choise. With such thign you can definately run the signal
from any soundcard tens of meters without problems.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

Markus Nerf wrote:

> what is the max. length for a line-out cable between a
PC-Soundcard

Which sound card?

> and an amplifier?

Maybe 1000 feet.

> What type of cable should I use for a distance of 20 - 25
meters?

Just about anything.

> Is a wired cable with a cross-section of 0,6 meters ok?
> Example: J-Y(St)Y 4 x 2 x 0,6mm

In the US we call this number 22 wire, which is more than
adequate for line-level signals in any reasonable length.

Most consumer sound cards will drive headphones, which means
that their output impedance is in the 16-32 ohm range.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:39:53 PM

"Markus Nerf" <mail@markus-nerf.de> wrote in message
news:D 67shp$nun$1@svr7.m-online.net...
> Hi,
>
> what is the max. length for a line-out cable between a PC-Soundcard and an
> amplifier?
> What type of cable should I use for a distance of 20 - 25 meters?
>
> Is a wired cable with a cross-section of 0,6 meters ok?
> Example: J-Y(St)Y 4 x 2 x 0,6mm

Dunno the asnwers; but Rapid Electronics has technical data of some cables
on their web site

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk

Tim
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:30:42 PM

Remember that before the days of microwave and then satellites
you could rent a "15K" line from the telco for distances anywhere
from the other end of the block to the opposite coast. Granted,
these had booster amps at certain intervals, but they were many
miles apart.

The point that going a few dozen feet is no great accomplishment
in the overall history of audio transmission.
!