Sony CD player problem

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 15, 2005 6:35:33 PM

I recently acquired a used Sony CD player, model CPD-291, manufactured
in 1991, S/N A715803 - history unknown but clean and not beaten up on
the outside.
It has started to show the following faults on one CD only, the
ABBA"Gold" volume:
1. Often shows "no disc" when starting and on "shuffle" play
2. When it does play there is serious break up and garbling of the
sound.
3. Has become worse over last few weeks (before it was intermittent.)

However, my other CD's seem to play OK on the Sony (I tried 6 of them,
all play OK in all modes.) However, the "problem" ABBA "GOLD" CD will
still play OK on both my PC CD drive and on my main audio CD player -
a Technics PD-SL687, 5 CD changer. This seems a bit odd and suggests
that the ABBA CD is not defective - yet the Sony won't play it
anymore.

I have carefully cleaned the ABBA CD - no change in behavior.
Any idea's as to what may be wrong? I am thinking that the SONY laser,
optical sensor and/or lenses may be dirty but, if so, why do all the
other CD's play OK on it? Anyway, could these components be cleaned?
If so, what's the best way to clean them?

Other than that, what else may be going on here?
Thanks for all replies.
Cheers,
Roger

More about : sony player problem

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:43:02 AM

In article <_7ednXzhxqzpCxrfRVn-pw@rogers.com>,
Engineer <fakeaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:

>I recently acquired a used Sony CD player, model CPD-291, manufactured
>in 1991, S/N A715803 - history unknown but clean and not beaten up on
>the outside.
>It has started to show the following faults on one CD only, the
>ABBA"Gold" volume:
>1. Often shows "no disc" when starting and on "shuffle" play
>2. When it does play there is serious break up and garbling of the
>sound.
>3. Has become worse over last few weeks (before it was intermittent.)
>
>However, my other CD's seem to play OK on the Sony (I tried 6 of them,
>all play OK in all modes.) However, the "problem" ABBA "GOLD" CD will
>still play OK on both my PC CD drive and on my main audio CD player -
>a Technics PD-SL687, 5 CD changer. This seems a bit odd and suggests
>that the ABBA CD is not defective - yet the Sony won't play it
>anymore.
>
>I have carefully cleaned the ABBA CD - no change in behavior.
>Any idea's as to what may be wrong?

The ABBA may be a trifle out of spec in any of a number of ways:

- Its reflectivity may be a bit on the low side, leading to a weak
optical signal which the Sony is having trouble tracking.

- It might have a little fragment of plastic in the center hole,
causing it to sit non-level or at an odd height on the Sony's drive
spindle, again making it difficult to track.

- If it's a long CD (more than 72 minutes) its inter-track pitch or
pit/land spacing may be at the lower end of the Red Book tolerance
range... once again, making it harder for some devices to track.

Any and all of these problems can be made worse if the CD player's
laser is old and its output is dropping, or if the lens is dirty (dust
is a problem, and tobacco-smoke tar deposits are really nasty).

> I am thinking that the SONY laser,
>optical sensor and/or lenses may be dirty but, if so, why do all the
>other CD's play OK on it? Anyway, could these components be cleaned?
>If so, what's the best way to clean them?

The best way I know of to clean a CD player lens is: very gently!

At any good camera store you can buy a small device which has a very
soft (camel-hair) brush, and a rubber bulb which can gently "puff"
some air. Use the brush on the CD player lens with a very gentle side
to side motion (don't push down hard!), then puff some air on the lens
to dislodge and remove the loosened dust.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
May 17, 2005 2:03:55 AM

In article <_7ednXzhxqzpCxrfRVn-pw@rogers.com>,
Engineer <fakeaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:
>I recently acquired a used Sony CD player, model CPD-291, manufactured
>in 1991, S/N A715803 - history unknown but clean and not beaten up on
>the outside.
>It has started to show the following faults on one CD only, the
>ABBA"Gold" volume:
>1. Often shows "no disc" when starting and on "shuffle" play
>2. When it does play there is serious break up and garbling of the
>sound.
>3. Has become worse over last few weeks (before it was intermittent.)
>
>However, my other CD's seem to play OK on the Sony (I tried 6 of them,
>all play OK in all modes.) However, the "problem" ABBA "GOLD" CD will
>still play OK on both my PC CD drive and on my main audio CD player -
>a Technics PD-SL687, 5 CD changer. This seems a bit odd and suggests
>that the ABBA CD is not defective - yet the Sony won't play it
>anymore.

Is this a European pressing? Philips & DuPont Optical Ltd UK (PDO) made a
large number of defective discs in the late 1908's and early 1990's which
oxidize ("bronze") over the years due to a poor lacquer formulation. If
your disc is so affected, its S/N may be so poor that the aged laser in
your Sony can't read the data reliably.

I have a copy of ABBA Gold that was pressed by PDO (since replaced free of
charge) and a number of players won't play it anymore.
May 21, 2005 2:19:29 AM

"Engineer" <fakeaddress@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>I recently acquired a used Sony CD player, model CPD-291,
>manufactured in 1991, S/N A715803 - history unknown but clean and not
>beaten up on the outside.
> It has started to show the following faults on one CD only, the
> ABBA"Gold" volume:

(snip)

My sincere thanks for these replies. I will clean the lens, anyway,
and also look into the provenance of the CD - the latter does surprise
me (but it doesn't bother my PC, nor the Technics CD player!)
Cheers,
Roger
!