CyberDrive 36/12/48 CD-RW $49

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
<A HREF="http://216.136.224.156/hoct12/564.html" target="_new">http://216.136.224.156/hoct12/564.html</A>

Shipping somewhat expensive though.

<b> Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal </b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Think I like the Lite-On better if I were to get one of these.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Crap! I paid $71 for this unit just 3-4 weeks ago (but it included shipping).

It's interesting how CD writers went up in price as memory prices went up. Now they are going down in price as memory prices are going down. Coincidence?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Never mind. The link you posted is for a bare OEM drive. No cable, no sound cable, no software. I bought a retail version with all of above from Newegg.com (current price $58 + shipping).

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Yep.

But then many people already have more than enough cables and software.

I have dozens of cables and about 10 copies of Nero and Easy CD.

<b>Did we come here to laugh or to cry? Are we dying or being reborn?</b>

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
No, it's not a coincidence.

CD-RW drives will further fall. 48x now about $100. Everyone knows 48x doesn't write significantly faster than 24x and 32x. Average writing speed for 48x writer is about 37x only. The difference in recording time is 30 seconds and 1 minutes.

48x CD-RW will also become as cheap as $40 or $50.

<b>Did we come here to laugh or to cry? Are we dying or being reborn?</b>

dyne

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
i got this same drive from newegg last week for $62 shipped. great drive. even burns RAW DaO where my bros $140 Phillips does not. even my old 4 speed mitsumi burned RAW Dao :) no led while burning but who cares. i have yet to make a coaster with games or music.

FUNKTRON2002

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2002
Cyberdrive is my choice. I have the 32x. It was dirt cheap and has the awesome ability to burn at an average of 28X, rip audio at an average of 35x with CD DAE 99, and will read ANY disc i put in it. Also uses the same buffer technology that the Yamaha uses, JustLink. Much better than the Smart-BURN that Lite On uses and on par with Burn-Proof. I paid 50 bucks for it cuz i had it shipped with other parts for a build i did for a friend. Great cost, great burns.
FUNK

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Strange, my Cyberdrive has ExacLink for buffer underrun protection. I have the 36X. All the reviews I read for the 32X claimed ExacLink, as well.

FUNKTRON2002

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2002
My error. It is ExacLink. Same technology as the Yamaha drives, nonetheless. As far as I read, there are only about three or four different buffer-underrun blockers out there. ExacLink was created by Oak Technologies.

FUNK

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, to correct you again but Yamaha uses SmartBurn. Mitsumi uses ExacLink. Here is a quick (but no doubt incomplete) list of buffer underrun protections.

Smartburn
ExacLink (Oak Technologies)
JustLink (Ricoh)
BurnProof (Sanyo)
FlextraLink
SafeBurn
SafeLink
SuperLink (LG)
Seamless Link (Benq/Philips)

You might like to hear that my 36x Cyberdrive only averages 27x writes and 31x DAE (when using Nero CD Speed) which sounds slower than your 32X drive.

FUNKTRON2002

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2002
Good call again. I must have been smoking crack! I don't know how I got Yamaha and ExacLink paired together. I picked it up mainly from a CDR-Labs review of the burner. It says Mitsumi, and I remember reading it, too! That must bw where the crack comes into play... lol
My burner does hit that avg., tho. What kind of HDD interface do you use? I have a RAID 0 setup on a pair of IBM 7200 RPM Drives with an Athlon 1700+ and 512 MB of PC2100 DDR (corsair CAS 2). Probably not too much of a difference. Wonder why the company even released that 36X after the 32x? For digital audio extraction, I am using DAE 99. Don't know if that would make much of a difference. Nonetheless, those numbers are pretty darn close to my 32x. So close as to really be insignificant in real-time.
Don't worry about correcting me, I have been known to have that human fallacy ;)
FUNK

FUNKTRON2002

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2002
This is for everyone interested. It is the only full review I could find on the burner. I just know that I love mine and have had 4 1/2 months and 120+ cds of consistent, fast burns and great success with DAE (much better than my other drive, the 16X Lite-On DVD. The DVD is faster overall, but can't handle scratches and imperfect media like the Cyberdrive.) Here is the review URL:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=104&page=Intro

FUNK

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! I wouldn't worry about making mistakes. I once went ranting and raving at someone, spewing all kinds of facts and links only to learn I was replying in the wrong thread.

I don't mind that the 36X isn't much better than the 32X. It's strange that the averages are lower for my burner but a 670 MB burn only takes 3:08 so I'm not complaining. It backs up all my games and reads audio from all my scratched CDs, again nothing to complain about.

I also like the fact that the play button on the drive spins up the drive and plays music through the speakers without loading any player software (Media Player, MusicMatch, etc)

I would like to see a list of ideal media for the Cyberdrive. Although, everthing I've thrown at the drive writes faster than spec'd and reads back perfectly on the Cyberdrive, I've learned that some media won't read back on some of my older CDROMS if they are written at full speed. I haven't decided if I should chase down which media brand/model works best or just replace those CDROMS with newer ones. This is probably what I will do.

I originally thought that the CW068D was the same as the CW058D but with different firmware. However, my drive has firmware 110D and I noticed that one of the CW058D updates were also 110D, which didn't boost speed, so now I think there is a hardware difference.

Two months ago I paid $71 including shipping. I chose the 36X Cyberdrive based solely on price and the CDRLabs review of the 32X. (At the time a Lite-on 32X was about $91. If I were to buy now, I would probably go with a Lite-on). It's curious that for a while the 36X Cyberdrive was actually cheaper than the 32X.

As for my hardware config, I have a Tbird 1.0@1.33 (1.50 for gaming), an Epox 8KTA3PRO (KT133A) mobo (no RAID), and 256MB of SDRAM. With only two IDE channels I'm forced to put my HD (Maxtor D740X 40GB) on IDE1 and my Cyberdrive (Master) and CDROM (Slave) on IDE2. (I don't need on-the-fly copying).