Green Palm user

Tags:
May 2, 2004 1:02:27 AM

Hi all. I need some help from the experts.
I just bought a used Sony SJ20. Don't know anything about palms so I didn't
want to spend to much $$$ for something I wasn't going to use; and I got
this one for a good price.
Maybe you can help me with some stuff.

I have NO manuals or software for this thing, including whatever it is you
use to connect to the desktop. So far, I cannot find anything from the Sony
site except the manual. Where can I get the drivers etc. and is there a good
place to get free software?
I was hoping you could provide me with some links.

Does this device have flashable memory? Can the OS be updated?

Also, here's why it was cheap. There are two lines, one horizontal and one
vertical - one pixel wide - on the screen. It's no more than a distraction
but was wondering if this is a common problem and if there is a solution.

Thanks a heap in advance!
MajBach

More about : green palm user

Anonymous
May 2, 2004 5:41:58 AM

It's worth contacting Sony (at www.sonystyle.com and finding your way to the
handheld support section -- not as easy as it should be) and asking if they
can send you the disk that should have come with the Clie. They may charge
shipping and handling, but that can't be that much. Otherwise if you know
anyone with a similar model (SL-10, SJ-22) and they have a disk, it might be
all you need. Not sure about the legality of copying the disk but I don't
see how installing their software on their product would be considered
piracy.

Good luck!
--
"MajBach1" <removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:o MXkc.50366$k%.1266328@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi all. I need some help from the experts.
> I just bought a used Sony SJ20. Don't know anything about palms so I
didn't
> want to spend to much $$$ for something I wasn't going to use; and I got
> this one for a good price.
> Maybe you can help me with some stuff.
>
> I have NO manuals or software for this thing, including whatever it is you
> use to connect to the desktop. So far, I cannot find anything from the
Sony
> site except the manual. Where can I get the drivers etc. and is there a
good
> place to get free software?
> I was hoping you could provide me with some links.
>
> Does this device have flashable memory? Can the OS be updated?
>
> Also, here's why it was cheap. There are two lines, one horizontal and
one
> vertical - one pixel wide - on the screen. It's no more than a distraction
> but was wondering if this is a common problem and if there is a solution.
>
> Thanks a heap in advance!
> MajBach

Anonymous
May 2, 2004 7:23:46 AM

assuming you did get the hardware to connect to the desktop , all you
really need is Palm Dsktop 4.1 to sync and add apps to your new
device, Yes I know you have a Sony, but you can use Palms hotsync
program it works fro any palm OS device

as for s/w, google freeware palm and you'll get some sites, aside from
palmgear, handango, palmblvd, pdatopsoft, tucows freewarepalm and
5star.freeserve.com

On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:02:27 -0400, "MajBach1"
<removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:

|Hi all. I need some help from the experts.
|I just bought a used Sony SJ20. Don't know anything about palms so I didn't
|want to spend to much $$$ for something I wasn't going to use; and I got
|this one for a good price.
|Maybe you can help me with some stuff.
|
|I have NO manuals or software for this thing, including whatever it is you
|use to connect to the desktop. So far, I cannot find anything from the Sony
|site except the manual. Where can I get the drivers etc. and is there a good
|place to get free software?
|I was hoping you could provide me with some links.
|
|Does this device have flashable memory? Can the OS be updated?
|
|Also, here's why it was cheap. There are two lines, one horizontal and one
|vertical - one pixel wide - on the screen. It's no more than a distraction
|but was wondering if this is a common problem and if there is a solution.
|
|Thanks a heap in advance!
|MajBach

May 3, 2004 2:00:15 AM

AS efficient as I am at finding stuff on the net, I cannot find anything at
Sony or Palm. Could someone provide a link?

"Alien at Large" <nothere@notnow.com> wrote in message
> assuming you did get the hardware to connect to the desktop , all you
> really need is Palm Dsktop 4.1 to sync and add apps to your new
> device, Yes I know you have a Sony, but you can use Palms hotsync
> program it works fro any palm OS device
>
> as for s/w, google freeware palm and you'll get some sites, aside from
> palmgear, handango, palmblvd, pdatopsoft, tucows freewarepalm and
> 5star.freeserve.com
>
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:02:27 -0400, "MajBach1"
> <removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> |Hi all. I need some help from the experts.
> |I just bought a used Sony SJ20. Don't know anything about palms so I
didn't
> |want to spend to much $$$ for something I wasn't going to use; and I got
> |this one for a good price.
> |Maybe you can help me with some stuff.
> |
> |I have NO manuals or software for this thing, including whatever it is
you
> |use to connect to the desktop. So far, I cannot find anything from the
Sony
> |site except the manual. Where can I get the drivers etc. and is there a
good
> |place to get free software?
> |I was hoping you could provide me with some links.
> |
> |Does this device have flashable memory? Can the OS be updated?
> |
> |Also, here's why it was cheap. There are two lines, one horizontal and
one
> |vertical - one pixel wide - on the screen. It's no more than a
distraction
> |but was wondering if this is a common problem and if there is a solution.
> |
> |Thanks a heap in advance!
> |MajBach

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 6:30:40 AM

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/windesk414....

or get it from tucows, download,com, cnet, zdnet etc

as for the additional s/w that came on the Sony disk, a review at
Brighthand or Geek.com for your model should tell you what else you
can look for from places such as Palmgear.com

On Sun, 2 May 2004 22:00:15 -0400, "MajBach1"
<removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:

|AS efficient as I am at finding stuff on the net, I cannot find anything at
|Sony or Palm. Could someone provide a link?

|"Alien at Large" <nothere@notnow.com> wrote in message
|> assuming you did get the hardware to connect to the desktop , all you
|> really need is Palm Dsktop 4.1 to sync and add apps to your new
|> device, Yes I know you have a Sony, but you can use Palms hotsync
|> program it works fro any palm OS device
|>
|> as for s/w, google freeware palm and you'll get some sites, aside from
|> palmgear, handango, palmblvd, pdatopsoft, tucows freewarepalm and
|> 5star.freeserve.com
|>
|> On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:02:27 -0400, "MajBach1"
|> <removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:
|>
|> |Hi all. I need some help from the experts.
|> |I just bought a used Sony SJ20. Don't know anything about palms so I
|didn't
|> |want to spend to much $$$ for something I wasn't going to use; and I got
|> |this one for a good price.
|> |Maybe you can help me with some stuff.
|> |
|> |I have NO manuals or software for this thing, including whatever it is
|you
|> |use to connect to the desktop. So far, I cannot find anything from the
|Sony
|> |site except the manual. Where can I get the drivers etc. and is there a
|good
|> |place to get free software?
|> |I was hoping you could provide me with some links.
|> |
|> |Does this device have flashable memory? Can the OS be updated?
|> |
|> |Also, here's why it was cheap. There are two lines, one horizontal and
|one
|> |vertical - one pixel wide - on the screen. It's no more than a
|distraction
|> |but was wondering if this is a common problem and if there is a solution.
|> |
|> |Thanks a heap in advance!
|> |MajBach
|> |

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 6:58:57 AM

In article <%Ihlc.8371$ZJ5.380643@news20.bellglobal.com>,
"MajBach1" <removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> AS efficient as I am at finding stuff on the net, I cannot find anything at
> Sony or Palm. Could someone provide a link?

You can find the Palm Desktop software at this link:
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/palmdesktop.html

For SJ20 documentation, go to:
http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/select-clie.pl
and enter your series "SJ"
and then the model "PEG-SJ22"
Then click on "Documentation"

Bob Harris

> "Alien at Large" <nothere@notnow.com> wrote in message
> > assuming you did get the hardware to connect to the desktop , all you
> > really need is Palm Dsktop 4.1 to sync and add apps to your new
> > device, Yes I know you have a Sony, but you can use Palms hotsync
> > program it works fro any palm OS device
> >
> > as for s/w, google freeware palm and you'll get some sites, aside from
> > palmgear, handango, palmblvd, pdatopsoft, tucows freewarepalm and
> > 5star.freeserve.com
> >
> > On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:02:27 -0400, "MajBach1"
> > <removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >
> > |Hi all. I need some help from the experts.
> > |I just bought a used Sony SJ20. Don't know anything about palms so I
> didn't
> > |want to spend to much $$$ for something I wasn't going to use; and I got
> > |this one for a good price.
> > |Maybe you can help me with some stuff.
> > |
> > |I have NO manuals or software for this thing, including whatever it is
> you
> > |use to connect to the desktop. So far, I cannot find anything from the
> Sony
> > |site except the manual. Where can I get the drivers etc. and is there a
> good
> > |place to get free software?
> > |I was hoping you could provide me with some links.
> > |
> > |Does this device have flashable memory? Can the OS be updated?
> > |
> > |Also, here's why it was cheap. There are two lines, one horizontal and
> one
> > |vertical - one pixel wide - on the screen. It's no more than a
> distraction
> > |but was wondering if this is a common problem and if there is a solution.
> > |
> > |Thanks a heap in advance!
> > |MajBach

Anonymous
May 4, 2004 1:07:07 AM

Thanks to both of you - found some stuff. One quick question - what's the
diff between Palm OS and Pocket PC and Windows CE. I see them on PDA
download sites and not sure which one applies.
"Bob Harris" <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote in message
> In article <%Ihlc.8371$ZJ5.380643@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> "MajBach1" <removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > AS efficient as I am at finding stuff on the net, I cannot find anything
at
> > Sony or Palm. Could someone provide a link?
>
> You can find the Palm Desktop software at this link:
> http://www.palmone.com/us/support/palmdesktop.html
>
> For SJ20 documentation, go to:
> http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/select-clie.pl
> and enter your series "SJ"
> and then the model "PEG-SJ22"
> Then click on "Documentation"
>
> Bob Harris
>
> > "Alien at Large" <nothere@notnow.com> wrote in message
> > > assuming you did get the hardware to connect to the desktop , all you
> > > really need is Palm Dsktop 4.1 to sync and add apps to your new
> > > device, Yes I know you have a Sony, but you can use Palms hotsync
> > > program it works fro any palm OS device
> > >
> > > as for s/w, google freeware palm and you'll get some sites, aside from
> > > palmgear, handango, palmblvd, pdatopsoft, tucows freewarepalm and
> > > 5star.freeserve.com

> > didn't

> > you
> > Sony
> > good

> > one
> > distraction

Anonymous
May 4, 2004 1:07:08 AM

On Mon, 03 May 2004 21:07:07 -0400, MajBach1 wrote:

> what's the diff between Palm OS and Pocket PC and Windows CE.

They are different architectures/platforms/OSes for PDAs. Kinda like the
difference between Windows/MacOS/Linux/etc.

> I see them on PDA download sites and not sure which one applies.

You want PalmOS software.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

On Mon, 3 May 2004 21:07:07 -0400, "MajBach1"
<removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:

|Thanks to both of you - found some stuff. One quick question - what's the
|diff between Palm OS and Pocket PC and Windows CE. I see them on PDA
|download sites and not sure which one applies.

they are all operating system for hand held devices

Palm OS ( developed by Palm) runs on devices sold by Palm, Sony,
Handspring (Palm now) and Handera (no longer sold new)

Pocket PC and Windows CE (both developed by Microsoft) runs on
devices sold by iPaq, Toshiba, and several other manufacturers (not
about to list them all).

What you see are applications that run under the above operating
systems on the appropriate device. The OS it self is not sold except
with the purchase of the device.

Applications for palm will not run on Windows devices or vice versa,
there are some applications that have been developed that have Palm
and Windows CE counterparts, but you can't d/l one and expect it to
work on the other.

hope this helps a bit
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 9:45:47 PM

It helps a lot thanks! I have downloaded some software and installed it on
the palm. Still reading the 255 page manual I downloaded too. Man am I
impressed so far! All this time I thought they were just fancy Rolodexes.
Still a little bit confused with files extensions for an unzipped download
for the palm. It's obvious which ones are the programs as the desktop
software weeds out all but them. But there are often several other files
that come with a program - do they get installed too or are they extras that
the user can choose to install?
It will all come clear I am sure.

Didn't I see you on another NG having a problem with your SJ20? Get it
resolved?

> On Mon, 3 May 2004 21:07:07 -0400, "MajBach1"
> <removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> |Thanks to both of you - found some stuff. One quick question - what's the
> |diff between Palm OS and Pocket PC and Windows CE. I see them on PDA
> |download sites and not sure which one applies.
>
> they are all operating system for hand held devices
>
> Palm OS ( developed by Palm) runs on devices sold by Palm, Sony,
> Handspring (Palm now) and Handera (no longer sold new)
>
> Pocket PC and Windows CE (both developed by Microsoft) runs on
> devices sold by iPaq, Toshiba, and several other manufacturers (not
> about to list them all).
>
> What you see are applications that run under the above operating
> systems on the appropriate device. The OS it self is not sold except
> with the purchase of the device.
>
> Applications for palm will not run on Windows devices or vice versa,
> there are some applications that have been developed that have Palm
> and Windows CE counterparts, but you can't d/l one and expect it to
> work on the other.
>
> hope this helps a bit
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 6:59:20 AM

On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:45:47 -0400, "MajBach1"
<removeallbut_majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote:

|It helps a lot thanks! I have downloaded some software and installed it on
|the palm. Still reading the 255 page manual I downloaded too. Man am I
|impressed so far! All this time I thought they were just fancy Rolodexes.
|Still a little bit confused with files extensions for an unzipped download
|for the palm. It's obvious which ones are the programs as the desktop
|software weeds out all but them. But there are often several other files
|that come with a program - do they get installed too or are they extras that
|the user can choose to install?
|It will all come clear I am sure.

your welcome, the other files may be necessary, check the read me, or
they may be for deferent device/color types

|Didn't I see you on another NG having a problem with your SJ20? Get it
|resolved?

sorry I don't have an SJ, or any other Sony 'cept an emu or 3 of diff
Sony roms

!