Antivirus on Linux

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Has anyone else evaluated Linux antivirus solutions? I'm leaning towards mcafee virusscan, and using it with amivis to scan emails along with windows shares. The firewall style looks good too, and it would be nice to block virii coming from hotmail, but it looks like that means losing filescanning ability...

So far I've looked at McAfee, FSecure and Sophos.

Anyone got any thoughts?

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
There's been a couple of theoritical virii,and maybe 1 real one, but I'm talking about using the Linux box as a server fro Windows machines. The AV runs on the Linux box looking for Windows virii in emails and files.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Oh, yeah.

Hotmail has an automatic virus scanner..I wouldn't worry about it.

Firewall feature is not that important, and can be replaced easily (Smoothwall, anyone?)

Actually, a friend and I are writing a really nice IP tables based webmin module firewall... Gonna be real nice when it gets done.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<Actually, a friend and I are writing a really nice IP tables based webmin module firewall... Gonna be real nice when it gets done.>

Awww man, why didn't you do that earlier; like back when I was setting up my linux router? :smile:

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
<i>Firewall feature is not that important, and can be replaced easily (Smoothwall, anyone?)</i>

Yeah I know about firewalls, but I meant virus scanning integration, such that the scanner stops, say, and infected ftp download, or some random .exe that someone downloads. Some of the more expensive AV products have that sort of option.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Um, I think they all say that don't they?

It's interesting that they appear to have a good track record, but this is the first I've heard of them... They seem to have been around as long as anyone else, just kept a lower profile. Nice that they include a daemon with their Unix versions.

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Yeah, I read the reports. I'm not knocking your NOD32, just saying that they need to amp up their sales campaign a bit. They're not even listed on linux.org or freshmeat.net.

I'm not sure you can compare it to Norton's, if for no other reason than pricing. Their command line Unix scanner is pretty steep (once you even find it on their website), while your NOD32 is more affordable for the smaller business.

Beware the "Antivirus Newsgroup" Snake Oil !!!

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>