Watchguard installed network printers not working

joeburnham

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I'm a hack geek hobbiest who does some side work for a non-profit because I'm cheaper than a pro (so please be easy on me here).

They recently had a T1 line installed which required changes to the IP, subnet mask, gateway IP, and DNS settings on the firewall (WatchGuard Firebox X Edge). We also removed the DSL modem (Actiontec GT701-WG).

The network is up and running and the internet connection is great, but I can't find the printers (HP Color LaserJet 3600 and Konica Minolta bizhub C451) anywhere on the network, even when they are plugged directly into the firewall (I'm searching by IP address).

Here's the current setup: firewall - linksys EG008W 8-port switch - linksys wap-54g wireless access point

I know a firewall at the center of your network isn't ideal, but I also don't see why it isn't working and why I can't find the printers.

Any suggestions?

joeburnham

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
The Firewall is providing the DHCP. I'm guessing beforehand this was being done by the DSL router which is now no longer part of the system.

The printers are wired and are now in the switch per your suggestion.

joeburnham

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I have the setup you're recommending.

Given that they have a set IP address (192.168.0.26 and 192.168.0.72), one I can't ping, I'm guessing they are static.

So I just need to reconfigure them for the new setup?

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Change your Printers to 192.168.111.YOUR NUMBER HERE

You need to ensure that the numbers you choose are sufficently high to avoid the firewall allocating them to a PC or Reserve them in the DHCP config.

Do this and all will be well :)

Hope this helps

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Reserving them is the best option btw. Basically you tell the PC to either never assign them addresses or always assign the designated device a particular IP. The latter is done by telling the router the MAC address of the Printer and the IP you want to assign it

The setup of this is not difficult but varies by router and printer