BrettJRob

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
I am thinking about getting an ABIT KG7 motherboard for my new system (this mobo uses the AMD761 chipset). This will be my first system that I have built, and this may sound really dumb to more experienced builders, but since this mobo uses DDR memory, can I purchase just one stick of memory, or do I need to get them in pairs? The KG7 has 4 slots for DDR memory, and I have purchased one stick of unbuffered Crucial 256 MB DDR. Will this one stick work properly without another?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
DDR is just like SDRAM. you can use single sticks.
the difference lies in that DDR sends data twice every Mhz, not once like SDRAM.

P.S. while the 761 chipset is good and stable, its a little dated now, and you can find chipsets that perform far better for the same price. namely the Nforce, KT266A, KT333 or Sis745.

the recent KT333 chipset is excellent. i have one and its super stable. can use either PC2100 or PC2700 ram.

Regarding number of sticks,
bit hard to generalise, but for most DDR motherboards the limit is 3 sticks of Unbuffered 'standard' DDR ram.
should you need/want 4, you will have to buy registered ram.

That being said, for 99.5% of people 3 sticks should be more than enough, especially as 512Mb sticks are becomming common.

128Mb is the minimum for a win2k/XP operating system. 256Mb for the standard user, 512Mb for the serious gamer.
anything above is only for extreme users.
(i have 512mb and can run everything without dipping into the swap file)

cheers

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

BrettJRob

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Thanks for all the info.! I'll probably be just fine with my 256 MB DDR stick then because while I do play games sometimes, it's not daily and I'll be fine with a "mediocre" resolution if need be. As for the chipset, I already ordered the motherboard from NewEgg, so the AMD761 is what I'm getting. I figured it probably wasn't the best thing available now, but budget was the main factor in building this system, so I liked the $67 price tag (I'm guessing those more up-to-date chipsets will cost you quite a bit more ... if not, oh well, dumb move on my part!). But then again, everything will be SUCH an improvement above my current setup that the details won't matter. Want a good laugh? Here are my current specs:

*Store-bought eMachines PC*
CPU: Intel Celeron 633 MHz
FSB: 66 MHz :(
Memory: Came with 64 MB SDRAM / Upgraded to 192 MB SDRAM

Here's what I've added on... all of these components will go into the new system (I hope):

Hard Disk: 20 GB
DVD-ROM: Samsung
CD-RW: TDK 16x10x40
Video Card: PCI GeForce2 MX
Sound Card: Philips Seismic Edge

This isn't a memory question at all, but typing up the specs I just thought of it: will the new board take my PCI Video card, or will I be forced to get AGP (the reason I don't have it now is because my crappy eMachines didn't come w/ an AGP slot)?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm interesting rig
im suprised u didnt try to upp the bus speed on that celleron to 100 to get a 950Mhz.

the new machine SHOULD take the PCI graphics card, but dont expect some miraculous jump in framerates for games... that card is gonna hamstring you baaad lol
but decent enuf for non-3d apps.

dont know the specifics but some kt266a/kt333/sis735 chipset are as cheap as the amd761, so u proly could have done better... but the 761 is a decent solid chipset.
u dont happen to know if it uses the amd southbridge do u? depending on the maker it was either amd sb(better) or via (less good)

p.s. i hopy you have a 7200rpm hard disk. any thing less will not do your system justice

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

BrettJRob

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Oh well. I just checked and the motherboard I ordered for $67 does in fact have a south bridge made by "Via." I guess that ain't good. As for the video card, I'll probably upgrade to AGP soon, but until then I'll be fine.

The reason I didn't overclock the Celeron is because my PC is a store-bought eMachines (I know, I know, I'm a real newbie) with some crappy motherboard. BTW, I'm using the hard drive out of that machine, and knowing eMachines's "outstanding commitment to quality," it's probably the lowest speed HDs come in. Is there any way I can find out what speed it is <b>without</b> taking the computer apart (through Windows)?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LoL
very funny.
love that "commitment to quality" mission statement. always leave out the important word... like "low" or "poor" or "bad" hehe

well your via southbridge shouldnt be too bad. just make sure u install the latest chipset drivers from the motherboard company.

as for your hard drive... hmmm... system info programs might, though im not sure. i THINK sisoft sandra does. well gives you the model name anyway, and from that u should be able to determine its speed.

but given the age of your system its most likely a 5400rpm drive... probably ata33.
decent enough but will be a bit of a bottle neck with your new UBER system :)