Connecting print server to laptop

bernieware

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
my laptop connects wirelessly via router to RoadRunner/internet and work well
I want to physically (ethernet) connect my laptop (via it's docking station) to a print server and then in turn to a printer.
"link" light is on, on print server however "pinging" 192.168.0.10 (factory default) fails
pls help as I don't know how to get IE to recognise/connect (IP address?) so I can run browser set-up
thx in advance

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hi

Connect the print server to the router.

Connect your laptop to the router.

Try again

If it fails you will need to set your router to start using the Address Pool of 192.168.0.NUMBER-SET-BY-ROUTER you will find this setting in the DHCP tab of the router settings and is usually called something very similar to Start IP Address in here you will want to put something like 192.168.0.2

Once this is set you will need to set the Router IP address to 192.168.0.1 this is ussually under a heading similar to Local IP Address

Once done reboot everythign and try again once its all loaded up

bernieware

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
thx for the very quick reply :)
I'm obviously no IT person (quick learner though) but why can't I connect print server directly to docking station? (trying to avoid buying another router is possible)

When I bought my wireless router [which is downstairs, too far away] I used the ethernet cable supplied with it to connect directly to m laptop to set it up, so I think there are 2 different cables (generic between router and quipment being routed to and "other/master" to connect to "computer/PC"). I have a mix of ethernet cables (indistinguishable from each ther :(

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
why can't you plug your print server in to your existing router? is it a distance issue?

I think i understand what you want but let me give you what I think you are trying to do.

You have a wireless router somewhere and wireless connect to that. You have a Printer with a network Printer that has no wireless so you want to use the docking station as a sort of Bridge into the network. Is this about right? If so it won't work. The best you would achieve is the laptop being able to print.

The nearest you would get to this would be to share the printer on the laptop by connecting it directly to the laptop (no print server) and then your printer would be accessible on the network if your laptop was on.

bernieware

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
first ever foru I've joined and it's great help - many thx to all
letme fully explain ... I frequently work from home (laptop/docking station) & I like to use an old laser printer (big old traditional d-type connecor with 2rows of lots of pins) and since newer laptops/PCs/docking stations do not support this kind of connection anymore, a while ago (2-4 yrs) I bought the only thin I could find that had LPT connecotr = a print server... only I now decided to try and get it all conencted and working!! no other device needs to print to the laser printer, only my laptop/docking station. I can nt connect the print server to my wireless router as it's far too far away & I need the printer close to my home desk.
so I have a selection of "ethernet" cables to eletrically connect docking station to print server ... but what do i do next ... factory setting form printer server is IP 192.168.0.10 (if that helps).
all/any help greatly appreciated.
thx (again) in advance

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Yes it will need to be one of these cables not just standard.

If I were you and it did not matter about the printer being available on the network I would just usa a USB to LPT cable and use that instead. Probably get one on ebay for next to nothing.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Thanks for the update: but this is exactly what I said to do lol,,,, when I said

" If I were you and it did not matter about the printer being available on the network I would just usa a USB to LPT cable and use that instead. Probably get one on ebay for next to nothing."

LPT is Line Print Terminal or Parallel / Centronix :)

Glad you sorted it though :)