Memory question

DanielLevesque

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Ive got a pretty dumb question because I never really bothered with information on CAS and Duel Channel motherboards.. Could someone explain to me the gain of CAS2 and Duel Channel..

DFI AK-76SN Motherboard
1.2GHZ THunderbird
512MB PC2100 DDR

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
weather its single or dual channel lowering the Cas & memory timings reduces ram latency.

and lower latency is always good.
not too sure how it applies to unused dual channel, in the case of the nforce, but i always reccomend people use the lowest timings they can.

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

DanielLevesque

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
So, all CAS2 is is better latency than whatever the default would be? like 1 or 1.5 I believe? and Nvidia's Nforce isnt really Duel Channel like the newer boards coming out with DDR 400?

thanks

-Dan

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
The CAS stands for <b>C</b>olum <b>A</b>ccess <b>S</b>trobe. It is an addressing signal that is sent out and it is allowed in timeframe 'X'. 'X' is number of clock cycles it will wait to send the strobe and recieve the response before moving to the next addressing operation. The memory should/needs be able to complete the stobe in the timeframe given. The lower 'X', is the shorter the amount of time it has to send and recieve the response from the strobe. So in essence, the lower the CAS limit the fast the operation.

However if the CAS limit is set too low, there will/can be errors in addressing. This is because it might not be able to complete the strobe in the time limit given. So if the memory you have is CAS 3, it <b><font color=red>might</b></font color=red> not run at CAS 2 and for DDR it <b><font color=red>might</b></font color=red> not run at 2.0 or 2.5 if it is CAS 3.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Everyone keeps talking about "duel channels", but I for one have never seen the RDRAM in my system whip out pistols or swords and go at it...

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Hehehah. Ughh. Mainly laughing because duel is a keyword in a running inside joke with my friends.

Maybe that's because they've never been hit with no duelling glove before.