Setting up home network

kg135

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hello,

I'm trying to setup a home network and had some questions. I looked over the FAQ, but it was a bit overwhelming, so I'm hoping to get some simpler answers.

I do understand some very basics to networking, with routers and switches and whatnot. However, my question is how do I go about it in a home environment where I don't have any fancy Cisco routers and switches?

Currently, I get internet from an Actiontec v1000h device, and it says it is a modem router. Since it's a router, is this device alone able to provide home networking? Or do I need something else in addition to this?

I apologize in advance if this question is stupid, but thank you to anyone that can help me understand.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Your internet line will go to your modem, which will have a real internet IP address. Sone companies have your main router and modem in one device like FIOS. In laymans terms, you will connect devices to your router a switch if you need more space. You can have a switch or your router provide you withwireless access also. Make sure to use WPA2 security so people cannot access your wifi that you dont want. There is alot to say, give me specific questions and Ill answer.