Denon UD-M5 problems

Last response: in Home Audio
May 19, 2005 10:25:05 PM

Hi. I have a Denon UD-M5 that won't turn on; when I press the power
button ... nothing. No lights, no hum, no nothing (It's plugged in and
I checked all the fuses.) My problem is that I bought a new CD player
(a Yamaha DVD-e600) and the Denon had my 2 favorite CDs in it when it
died. Is there any way for me to get those CDs out?

I bought the new player rather than trying to fix the Denon because the
power problem was just the latest of several problems. 1) The volume
knob turned into a random number generator - if you turned the knob the
numbers might jump up or down or who knows. The remote control was the
only reliable way to control the volume. and 2) It was very sensitive.
If somebody walked by CDs would skip, somebody sat down CDs would
skip,... etc. The Yamaha has no such problems. 3) It would skip on its
own (nobody moving in the room). If I ran a Maxell cleaner CD through
it the skipping would usually stop until I put in the next CD - at
which point I had to run the cleaning CD again.

Also the tape player had problems. The logic it uses to fast forward to
the blank space between songs would go nuts and wouldn't allow tapes to
play or be rewound.

At any rate - it was a very over-priced mistake. I would love to get my
CDs out if anybody can help me.

TIA,

Lou

More about : denon problems

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:58:08 PM

<klimoffl@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have a Denon UD-M5 that won't turn on; when I press the power
> button ... nothing. No lights, no hum, no nothing (It's plugged in
and
> I checked all the fuses.) My problem is that I bought a new CD
player
> (a Yamaha DVD-e600) and the Denon had my 2 favorite CDs in it when
it
> died. Is there any way for me to get those CDs out?
>
>[snip]

Look on the front of the drawer - there is usually a small hole.
Straighten a paper clip and push it in the hole to release the drawer
catch and it will pop open.

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:46:40 AM

harrogate2 wrote:
> <klimoffl@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi. I have a Denon UD-M5 that won't turn on; when I press the power
>> button ... nothing. No lights, no hum, no nothing (It's plugged in
>> and I checked all the fuses.) My problem is that I bought a new CD
>> player (a Yamaha DVD-e600) and the Denon had my 2 favorite CDs in it
>> when it died. Is there any way for me to get those CDs out?
>>
>> [snip]
>
> Look on the front of the drawer - there is usually a small hole.
> Straighten a paper clip and push it in the hole to release the drawer
> catch and it will pop open.

You're thinking of a CD-DOM drive, not a home unit. This one, IIRC has an
IC protector or picofuse bad.

Mark Z.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 11:49:55 PM

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
> harrogate2 wrote:
> > <klimoffl@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi. I have a Denon UD-M5 that won't turn on; when I press the power
> >> button ... nothing. No lights, no hum, no nothing (It's plugged in
> >> and I checked all the fuses.) My problem is that I bought a new CD
> >> player (a Yamaha DVD-e600) and the Denon had my 2 favorite CDs in it
> >> when it died. Is there any way for me to get those CDs out?
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >
> > Look on the front of the drawer - there is usually a small hole.
> > Straighten a paper clip and push it in the hole to release the drawer
> > catch and it will pop open.
>
> You're thinking of a CD-DOM drive, not a home unit. This one, IIRC has an
> IC protector or picofuse bad.
>
> Mark Z.

Thanks for your replies. In the end I took a couple of hours on a
Saturday and destructed it to get my CDs out. Very satisfying. Now I've
got some loose circuit boards tied together by bits of wire - I'm going
to see if there's any body who can recover some of the toxic stuff from
it. I hate just throwing that stuff in the trash.

Lou
!