Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wifi Extender

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 24, 2012 6:05:32 PM

Hey guys!

So originally I had dropped a single ethernet cable from my living room to my basement in order to hook up my HTPC to my network (my wireless range in the basement was not very good). However my basement was recently redone and now we have some more components down there that could use connectivity. I still have the ethernet cable dropped down, but its now in a closet and I figured it would be a good idea to get a wifi extender to put in that closet so the signal in the basement would be really good.

Anyways, I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions/experience as to the type of extender I should buy. I currently have a Linksys WRT-54G running Tomato firmware. If I could spend under 40 bucks that would be ideal!

Thanks!

More about : wifi extender

Best solution

May 24, 2012 6:47:59 PM

any router configured as an AP should work

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wire...
May 31, 2012 4:16:35 AM

Best answer selected by russhuang.
June 1, 2012 12:23:47 AM

Thanks a lot Emerald! I just ordered a D-Link DIR-601, gonna put DD-WRT on it. Quick question though, I might try and make the new router my main router as it is 802.11n and then make the old 802.11g router the WAP. Just want to make sure I won't run into any problems as they are different (I guess I'll be running 802.11g and 802.11n simultaneously so whatever components are closer to each router will have g vs n speeds? or will dataspeed be limited to 802.11g?)
!