Apartment's Internet hates Steam?

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
Problem description: Currently living in an apartment in a college town. Multiple buildings with a wifi connection and router available in each room. When I use steam to download a recently bought game I get at max 180 kilobytes per second, but when I ever download something using the jdownloader program I can get around 5 to 7 megabytes per second. I have no idea what could be causing the huge gap in speeds.

Attempted fixes: Tried switching steam server locations, tried using wifi and wired, still to no avail I hover around 100-180 kbs.

Recent changes: None
--

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit

System specs: ASUS G53S Laptop. 8 GB DDR3 i7 Processor, 560M Videocard.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
Well I don't live on college campus! And I have downloaded a game on steam and the connection was going about 1-2 Megabytes per second so I don't think they have a block.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
try installing a free http://cyberghostvpn.com/

this should get you round the traffic shaping if any and allow you to test if the connection improves. The only problem is I don't know if the VPN will give you speeds above your low connection speed on the free version.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Oh right and can you get high download speed on other sites through it? Also make sure you are connected by checking your IP on a website and then disconnect and check it again. It should change. Just put whats my IP in google.