NorthernLightsLLC

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Hello,

I am starting a business and am trying to figure out whether I will need a server or if a peer to peer network will be sufficient. I will have 2 or 3 workstations with 2 scales connected either locally to a workstation or on the network ( I'm not sure how that setup will need to work yet). I will also havee a laptop on the road that I may wish to connect remotely to the network. My main purpose is to enable each computer to access and use a Quickbooks file simultaneously. Will a p2p network let me do that? If I skip the remote connection, would a p2p be enough? Any help is appreciated.

In all likelihood, a small configuration such as yours would be fine as a p2p network. Obviously we would need to know a LOT more to totally rule out a server since who knows what other expectations you have in terms of services, security, etc. But when you're talking only about 2-3 machines and some remote access, heck, I have far more than that in my home office and even I'm strictly p2p. Worst case, you can always step up to a server environment in the future should it prove necessary.

a p2p should work

if you plan on running QB remotely from your laptop, there is two ways

1) log into a local computer via Logmein or similar software/service

2) use a terminal server

QB is not designed to work remotely over VPN/internet. I am using Logmein since it is free. Terminal server requires licenses

NorthernLightsLLC

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I would rather not use remote desktop software if I don't need to. I currently use Logmein and other rd programs now in another business and they always slow work down to a crawl with slow refresh rates. I am unsure what you mean by terminal server, windows small business server, etc.? The other option would be to just use a separate standalone file and try to merge the two at the end of the day..