Amp powers up, but no output.

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
May 21, 2005 6:02:10 PM

Eltax avr 250
Please can somebody reply? somebody must have an idea about what the problem
could be. Eltax.com was no help, just told me it was possibly defective.
DUH.

its just gone dead, lights up !! one of the speaker level indicators is on
max tried resetting but no good, had an electrical engineer friend look at
it, he checked fuses. Couldn`t see anything obvious. Checked all the speaker
wiring too. Any ideas about the problem? Saw another post the same as this,
but the guy just bought a new amp.

More about : amp powers output

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:50:32 AM

B A T M A N wrote:
> Eltax avr 250
> Please can somebody reply? somebody must have an idea about what the
> problem could be. Eltax.com was no help, just told me it was possibly
> defective. DUH.
>
> its just gone dead, lights up !! one of the speaker level indicators
> is on max tried resetting but no good, had an electrical engineer
> friend look at it, he checked fuses. Couldn`t see anything obvious.
> Checked all the speaker wiring too. Any ideas about the problem? Saw
> another post the same as this, but the guy just bought a new amp.

Never heard of this brand. (Most of us on this group are Americans)

Generally, these faults fall into the following categories:

1. No actual problem, such as: speaker switch turned off, tape monitor
button engaged, wrong source selected, fault in another component.
2. Protection circuit related, either a fault in the protection circuit
itself, or in a monitored circuit, like the amp or power supply. Blown amp
channels are fairly common, with shorted output transistors or IC's.

Mark Z.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:11:48 AM

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
> B A T M A N wrote:
>> Eltax avr 250
>> Please can somebody reply? somebody must have an idea about what the
>> problem could be. Eltax.com was no help, just told me it was possibly
>> defective. DUH.
>>
>> its just gone dead, lights up !! one of the speaker level indicators
>> is on max tried resetting but no good, had an electrical engineer
>> friend look at it, he checked fuses. Couldn`t see anything obvious.
>> Checked all the speaker wiring too. Any ideas about the problem? Saw
>> another post the same as this, but the guy just bought a new amp.
>
> Never heard of this brand. (Most of us on this group are Americans)
>
> Generally, these faults fall into the following categories:
>
> 1. No actual problem, such as: speaker switch turned off, tape monitor
> button engaged, wrong source selected, fault in another component.
> 2. Protection circuit related, either a fault in the protection
> circuit itself, or in a monitored circuit, like the amp or power
> supply. Blown amp channels are fairly common, with shorted output
> transistors or IC's.
>
> Mark Z.

I am thinking it could be more likely related to number 2. Eltax is a well
known European manufacterer, more popular for their speakers.
May 22, 2005 2:49:16 PM

B A T M A N wrote:
> Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
<snip>
>> 2. Protection circuit related, either a fault in the protection
>> circuit itself, or in a monitored circuit, like the amp or power
>> supply. Blown amp channels are fairly common, with shorted output
>> transistors or IC's.
>>
>> Mark Z.
>
> I am thinking it could be more likely related to number 2. Eltax is a
> well known European manufacterer, more popular for their speakers.

So is this a surround receiver? How old? What exactly is the symptom?
Speaker relay won't come on but no error messages on display (assuming it's
a recent model)? Some troubleshooting is going to be required. Have you any
technical skill (using a voltmeter, 'scope, etc)?

Mark Z.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:57:32 PM

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
> B A T M A N wrote:
>> Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
> <snip>
>>> 2. Protection circuit related, either a fault in the protection
>>> circuit itself, or in a monitored circuit, like the amp or power
>>> supply. Blown amp channels are fairly common, with shorted output
>>> transistors or IC's.
>>>
>>> Mark Z.
>>
>> I am thinking it could be more likely related to number 2. Eltax is a
>> well known European manufacterer, more popular for their speakers.
>
> So is this a surround receiver? How old? What exactly is the symptom?
> Speaker relay won't come on but no error messages on display
> (assuming it's a recent model)? Some troubleshooting is going to be
> required. Have you any technical skill (using a voltmeter, 'scope,
> etc)?
>
> Mark Z.

<Original post inserted but snipped>
Eltax avr 250
Eltax.com was no help, just told me it was possibly defective.
Its just gone dead, lights up !! one of the speaker level indicators is on
max tried resetting but no good, had an electrical engineer friend look at
it, he checked fuses. Couldn`t see anything obvious. Checked all the speaker
wiring too. Any ideas about the problem? Saw another post the same as this,
but the guy just bought a new amp.
Troubleshooting done as above by a friend with volt meter who is an
electrical engineer on gaming machines and jukeboxes, IT boxes etc. I myself
only have knowledge what I have read up on. No practical. The relays all
seem to work fine, none sticking. I dont intend doing any work on it myself,
my friend won`t touch anything he aint 100% sure of either. Like he says,
normally an engineer would just fit it all up on a test bench and run a low
voltage through it to do a diagnostics. I would just rather understand the
fault, so I would know, what the problem was, to prevent the same happenning
again when a working AVR is in place, and to make sure I aint ripped off if
I manage to get it repaired.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:57:49 PM

"B A T M A N" <batman@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> Eltax avr 250
> Please can somebody reply? somebody must have an idea about what the
> problem
> could be. Eltax.com was no help, just told me it was possibly defective.
> DUH.
>
> its just gone dead, lights up !! one of the speaker level indicators is on
> max tried resetting but no good, had an electrical engineer friend look at
> it, he checked fuses. Couldn`t see anything obvious. Checked all the
> speaker
> wiring too. Any ideas about the problem? Saw another post the same as
> this,
> but the guy just bought a new amp.

Their comment that it was defective was pretty much spot on. If you
explained to them about the level indicator they may have been able to
elaborate that one channel was oscillating - that is obvious. Your engineer
friend should have been able to tell you that in a couple of seconds.

It is defective. You need to get it fixed - not over the internet , but by
an experienced electronic serviceman.

geoff
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:57:50 PM

Geoff Wood wrote:
> "B A T M A N" <batman@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Eltax avr 250
>> Please can somebody reply? somebody must have an idea about what the
>> problem
>> could be. Eltax.com was no help, just told me it was possibly
>> defective. DUH.
>>
>> its just gone dead, lights up !! one of the speaker level indicators
>> is on max tried resetting but no good, had an electrical engineer
>> friend look at it, he checked fuses. Couldn`t see anything obvious.
>> Checked all the speaker
>> wiring too. Any ideas about the problem? Saw another post the same as
>> this,
>> but the guy just bought a new amp.
>
> Their comment that it was defective was pretty much spot on. If you
> explained to them about the level indicator they may have been able to
> elaborate that one channel was oscillating - that is obvious. Your
> engineer friend should have been able to tell you that in a couple
> of seconds.
>
> It is defective. You need to get it fixed - not over the internet ,
> but by an experienced electronic serviceman.
>
> geoff
Its at a repair shop now, understanding the problem was my aim over the net,
hence posting in a tech discussion group.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:45:28 AM

Geoff Wood wrote:

> Their comment that it was defective was pretty much spot on. If you
> explained to them about the level indicator they may have been able to
> elaborate that one channel was oscillating - that is obvious. Your engineer
> friend should have been able to tell you that in a couple of seconds.

Oscillating? Far from obvious.
More likely that one output transistor is shorted
and the level indicator is measuring a power rail.

--
Eiron.
Anonymous

B A T M A N wrote:
> Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
>> B A T M A N wrote:
>>> Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> I am thinking it could be more likely related to number 2. Eltax is
>>> a well known European manufacterer, more popular for their speakers.
>>
>> So is this a surround receiver? How old? What exactly is the symptom?
>> Speaker relay won't come on but no error messages on display
>> (assuming it's a recent model)? Some troubleshooting is going to be
>> required. Have you any technical skill (using a voltmeter, 'scope,
>> etc)?
>>
>> Mark Z.
>
> <Original post inserted but snipped>
> Eltax avr 250
> Eltax.com was no help, just told me it was possibly defective.
> Its just gone dead, lights up !! one of the speaker level indicators
> is on max tried resetting but no good, had an electrical engineer
> friend look at it, he checked fuses. Couldn`t see anything obvious.
> Checked all the speaker wiring too. Any ideas about the problem? Saw
> another post the same as this, but the guy just bought a new amp.
> Troubleshooting done as above by a friend with volt meter who is an
> electrical engineer on gaming machines and jukeboxes, IT boxes etc. I
> myself only have knowledge what I have read up on. No practical. The
> relays all seem to work fine, none sticking. I dont intend doing any
> work on it myself, my friend won`t touch anything he aint 100% sure
> of either. Like he says, normally an engineer would just fit it all
> up on a test bench and run a low voltage through it to do a
> diagnostics. I would just rather understand the fault, so I would
> know, what the problem was, to prevent the same happenning again when
> a working AVR is in place, and to make sure I aint ripped off if I
> manage to get it repaired.

You had an electrical engineer 'hands on' look at it. You, yourself, have
no knowledge of electronics.

What help do you really expect to get from a newsgroup?

jak
!