Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Pansat 2500A user questions

Tags:
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 4:31:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

I have been using a Pansat 2500A for a few days and have a few questions I
would like to ask. Mainly I just want to make sure that what I think is
true, really is. Note that I am only using this receiver to pick up true
FTA signals on C band. I have not attempted to upload new firmware or
anything like that.

1) I assume that my receiver is not the only Pansat 2500A that ever
occasionally says "no signal" on every transponder (even though a perfectly
good signal is present), and the only way to escape that condition is to
completely power down the system? Is there any fix for this, or any way to
restore functionality without a complete power down?

2) On some transponders I get no audio at all, and if I check for audio
subcarriers it will show that it's an AC3 audio signal. So the receiver
apparently knows what AC3 IS (since it can tell you when it is present) but
apparently it can't actually decode an AC3 audio signal? Or am I missing
something here? Is there a chance that Pansat could someday supply update
software that would allow reception of AC3 audio (or have they perhaps done
so already)?

3) Sometimes I see a signal that is listed as being Hi Definition or 4:2:2
- so far I don't think I've seen the receiver properly decode these. Is
the receiver not at all capable of decoding such signals? Or is it just
that it can't translate them to a format that a plain old non-hi-def TV
understands?

4) Right now I have a large dish with C-band and Ku-band LNB's, although
Ku doesn't come in very well (still have to figure that out). But I also
have an old discarded Primestar dish with LNB with both H and V jacks. I
only speak English, so I don't think I would have any interest in foreign
language programming. I am not interested in religious channels, and I so
seldom watch anything on PBS that it hold little interest for me. In
short, it appears that the ONLY Ku-band satellite that would hold any
interest for me is Galaxy 10. Is there any reason I should be interested
in any of the other KU birds? If not, could I take a 4-input DiSEqC switch
and connect one port to the C-band LNB, one port to Ku-band LNB, and one
port each to the V and H output on the Primestar dish LNB, then point the
Primestar dish at G10 so as to have instant reception of most of the
English language Ku-band FTA channels? Any pitfalls in doing this?
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 1:34:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

1) I also have a Pansat 2500A for a few days. Seems like to 2500A has a
short time memory loss. I discovered that you don't have to power down but
do a fast scan on one bird and everything is remembered again.
2) The 2500A does not decode AC-3
3) The 2500A does not do Hi-def or 4:2:2
4) Personal taste issue. I'm still inputting the C-Band channels and
haven't gotten to the Ku Band. Have a 10 foot dish so the signal is
relatively strong. Bill
<not-a-real-email@donotemail.us> wrote in message
news:r24se0hbvelbkskbc00pd801fdmfdv8sfg@4ax.com...
> I have been using a Pansat 2500A for a few days and have a few questions I
> would like to ask. Mainly I just want to make sure that what I think is
> true, really is. Note that I am only using this receiver to pick up true
> FTA signals on C band. I have not attempted to upload new firmware or
> anything like that.
>
> 1) I assume that my receiver is not the only Pansat 2500A that ever
> occasionally says "no signal" on every transponder (even though a
perfectly
> good signal is present), and the only way to escape that condition is to
> completely power down the system? Is there any fix for this, or any way
to
> restore functionality without a complete power down?
>
> 2) On some transponders I get no audio at all, and if I check for audio
> subcarriers it will show that it's an AC3 audio signal. So the receiver
> apparently knows what AC3 IS (since it can tell you when it is present)
but
> apparently it can't actually decode an AC3 audio signal? Or am I missing
> something here? Is there a chance that Pansat could someday supply update
> software that would allow reception of AC3 audio (or have they perhaps
done
> so already)?
>
> 3) Sometimes I see a signal that is listed as being Hi Definition or 4:2:2
> - so far I don't think I've seen the receiver properly decode these. Is
> the receiver not at all capable of decoding such signals? Or is it just
> that it can't translate them to a format that a plain old non-hi-def TV
> understands?
>
> 4) Right now I have a large dish with C-band and Ku-band LNB's, although
> Ku doesn't come in very well (still have to figure that out). But I also
> have an old discarded Primestar dish with LNB with both H and V jacks. I
> only speak English, so I don't think I would have any interest in foreign
> language programming. I am not interested in religious channels, and I so
> seldom watch anything on PBS that it hold little interest for me. In
> short, it appears that the ONLY Ku-band satellite that would hold any
> interest for me is Galaxy 10. Is there any reason I should be interested
> in any of the other KU birds? If not, could I take a 4-input DiSEqC
switch
> and connect one port to the C-band LNB, one port to Ku-band LNB, and one
> port each to the V and H output on the Primestar dish LNB, then point the
> Primestar dish at G10 so as to have instant reception of most of the
> English language Ku-band FTA channels? Any pitfalls in doing this?
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 5:30:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:34:15 -0400, "MaryAnne Olsen" <wolsen@erols.com>
wrote:

>1) I also have a Pansat 2500A for a few days. Seems like to 2500A has a
>short time memory loss. I discovered that you don't have to power down but
>do a fast scan on one bird and everything is remembered again.

I'm still learning about this, but by fast scan do you mean going to the
installation menu and rescanning the satellite for new transponders?

I have to say, my receiver was really bad about this the first few days I
had it, but as time goes on it actually seems to be getting a bit more
stable. Strange.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:51:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

The Pansat menu will lock up on an HD ch. It will not decode an HD
{or 4-2-2} signal. It will only pass AC3 to an audio receiver that has a
digital input. Diseqc would be the way to go with adding the primestar
dish. LO freq for ku lnb{f} should be set to 10750.
Mike


not-a-real-email@donotemail.us wrote:
>
> I have been using a Pansat 2500A for a few days and have a few questions I
> would like to ask. Mainly I just want to make sure that what I think is
> true, really is. Note that I am only using this receiver to pick up true
> FTA signals on C band. I have not attempted to upload new firmware or
> anything like that.
>
> 1) I assume that my receiver is not the only Pansat 2500A that ever
> occasionally says "no signal" on every transponder (even though a perfectly
> good signal is present), and the only way to escape that condition is to
> completely power down the system? Is there any fix for this, or any way to
> restore functionality without a complete power down?
>
> 2) On some transponders I get no audio at all, and if I check for audio
> subcarriers it will show that it's an AC3 audio signal. So the receiver
> apparently knows what AC3 IS (since it can tell you when it is present) but
> apparently it can't actually decode an AC3 audio signal? Or am I missing
> something here? Is there a chance that Pansat could someday supply update
> software that would allow reception of AC3 audio (or have they perhaps done
> so already)?
>
> 3) Sometimes I see a signal that is listed as being Hi Definition or 4:2:2
> - so far I don't think I've seen the receiver properly decode these. Is
> the receiver not at all capable of decoding such signals? Or is it just
> that it can't translate them to a format that a plain old non-hi-def TV
> understands?
>
> 4) Right now I have a large dish with C-band and Ku-band LNB's, although
> Ku doesn't come in very well (still have to figure that out). But I also
> have an old discarded Primestar dish with LNB with both H and V jacks. I
> only speak English, so I don't think I would have any interest in foreign
> language programming. I am not interested in religious channels, and I so
> seldom watch anything on PBS that it hold little interest for me. In
> short, it appears that the ONLY Ku-band satellite that would hold any
> interest for me is Galaxy 10. Is there any reason I should be interested
> in any of the other KU birds? If not, could I take a 4-input DiSEqC switch
> and connect one port to the C-band LNB, one port to Ku-band LNB, and one
> port each to the V and H output on the Primestar dish LNB, then point the
> Primestar dish at G10 so as to have instant reception of most of the
> English language Ku-band FTA channels? Any pitfalls in doing this?
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:51:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:51:21 GMT, "steelblu<E>"@neo.rr.com wrote:

>The Pansat menu will lock up on an HD ch. It will not decode an HD
>{or 4-2-2} signal. It will only pass AC3 to an audio receiver that has a
>digital input.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - can you elaborate a bit? Please
understand that this receiver is the first piece of digital equipment I've
owned (other than a computer, or course) and although I don't have an audio
receiver with a digital input, I was under the impression that such inputs
were accomplished by fiber optic links, and I don't see a fiber output on
the Pansat, so I'm a little confused here.

>Diseqc would be the way to go with adding the primestar
>dish. LO freq for ku lnb{f} should be set to 10750.

Thanks, I appreciate that bit of information!
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 12:03:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

not-a-real-email@donotemail.us wrote:
: On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:51:21 GMT, "steelblu<E>"@neo.rr.com wrote:

:>The Pansat menu will lock up on an HD ch. It will not decode an HD
:>{or 4-2-2} signal. It will only pass AC3 to an audio receiver that has a
:>digital input.

: I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - can you elaborate a bit? Please
: understand that this receiver is the first piece of digital equipment I've
: owned (other than a computer, or course) and although I don't have an audio
: receiver with a digital input, I was under the impression that such inputs
: were accomplished by fiber optic links, and I don't see a fiber output on
: the Pansat, so I'm a little confused here.

The AC3 signal can be passed via fiber or plan old copper. I don't have a
pansat but I do have a fortec lifetime which are supposed to be clone of
each other. On the back of the fortec is a block or rca connectors and one
of them should be labeled digital. Now your receiver may or may not have
the option of receiving digital input via rca cable.


:>Diseqc would be the way to go with adding the primestar
:>dish. LO freq for ku lnb{f} should be set to 10750.

: Thanks, I appreciate that bit of information!
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 8:24:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

The digital out on the Pansat is coaxial {RCA}. Its labled S/PDIF.
Many audio receivers now have both a coaxial and optical. I hear Walmart
has a Home Theater type receiver dirt cheap that has a digital input.

Some people get a complete lockup when they try to view an HD ch on
the Pansat. While my Pansat does NOT lock up, the menu will disappear
until I do the repower routine.
Mike

not-a-real-email@donotemail.us wrote:
>
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:51:21 GMT, "steelblu<E>"@neo.rr.com wrote:
>
> >The Pansat menu will lock up on an HD ch. It will not decode an HD
> >{or 4-2-2} signal. It will only pass AC3 to an audio receiver that has a
> >digital input.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - can you elaborate a bit? Please
> understand that this receiver is the first piece of digital equipment I've
> owned (other than a computer, or course) and although I don't have an audio
> receiver with a digital input, I was under the impression that such inputs
> were accomplished by fiber optic links, and I don't see a fiber output on
> the Pansat, so I'm a little confused here.
>
> >Diseqc would be the way to go with adding the primestar
> >dish. LO freq for ku lnb{f} should be set to 10750.
>
> Thanks, I appreciate that bit of information!
!