Do any VCRs have SPD or optical output?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 28, 2005 3:41:40 AM

Sorry for this newbie type question:

I would like to take audio on VHS tape and record it to my computer (no
video) I want to use one of the digital or optical inputs on my sound
card.

>From what I understand the audio is in a digital format if your VCR is
stereo/hi-fi? If this is true, is the former possible?

If not, the analog output from a VCR ranks where in the spectrum of
quality? Better than a Cassette but less than a CD player?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:31:22 PM

<poison_1024@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sorry for this newbie type question:
>
> I would like to take audio on VHS tape and record it to my computer (no
> video) I want to use one of the digital or optical inputs on my sound
> card.

You have VHS tape player with digital audio outputs?

> >From what I understand the audio is in a digital format if your VCR is
> stereo/hi-fi? If this is true, is the former possible?

Definitely neither for PAL. I can't remember what they did for NTSC.

> If not, the analog output from a VCR ranks where in the spectrum of
> quality? Better than a Cassette but less than a CD player?

That's about it for HiFi VHS. For normal VHS it's a bit lower than a cheap
cassette, and often mono.
PAL VHS HiFi has a pretty flat response and reasonable S/N ratio achieved by
wide band companding, but subject to "head switching" noise.

MrT.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:02:47 PM

That's the question that I was originally asking - Does a VHS tape
player with digital audio outputs exist? Does any company make one?
Related resources
May 30, 2005 2:41:26 AM

> That's the question that I was originally asking - Does a VHS tape
> player with digital audio outputs exist? Does any company make one?

I tuned in late, but isn't the audio on the tape analog?
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:06:34 PM

poison_1024@yahoo.com wrote:
> That's the question that I was originally asking - Does a VHS tape
> player with digital audio outputs exist? Does any company make one?

Never seen any such - and I've seen just about every consumer model sold in
the U.S.
Not that it couldn't be done - there just never was a market for it. The are
external A/D boxes, and you could do the conversion in a computer.

Mark Z.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 7:30:29 PM

<poison_1024@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I would like to take audio on VHS tape and record it to my computer (no
> video) I want to use one of the digital or optical inputs on my sound
> card.
>
> >From what I understand the audio is in a digital format if your VCR is
> stereo/hi-fi? If this is true, is the former possible?
>
> If not, the analog output from a VCR ranks where in the spectrum of
> quality? Better than a Cassette but less than a CD player?

Yes, if the VCR tapes were recorded on Nicam equipment in hi-fi mode, the
audio will be in digital format. The sampling frequency is 32kHz, and the
upper frequency limit is 15kHz. The precision is 14 bits. However the
Nicam data format is specific to Nicam, and needs Nicam-specific D-to-A
conversion.

As for the sound quality of the analog outputs of a Nicam VCR - this will
depend on the VCR.

Tim
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:14:54 AM

Tim Martin wrote:
> <poison_1024@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>I would like to take audio on VHS tape and record it to my computer (no
>>video) I want to use one of the digital or optical inputs on my sound
>>card.
>>
>>>From what I understand the audio is in a digital format if your VCR is
>>stereo/hi-fi? If this is true, is the former possible?
>>
>>If not, the analog output from a VCR ranks where in the spectrum of
>>quality? Better than a Cassette but less than a CD player?
>

> Yes, if the VCR tapes were recorded on Nicam equipment in hi-fi mode, the
> audio will be in digital format.

The Nicam audio is digital but it is recorded onto the tape as analogue.
An analogue to S/P-DIF converter is not expensive but is unnecessary if
the sound card has a line-level stereo input.

--
Eiron.
!