What CD-ROM should i buy?

orends

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
I want a new CD-ROM for my new computer (of curse).
I don't want DVD or CDR\W so don't tell me to them instead of "old" CD-ROMS please... (it just i already have DVD and CDRW in my old computer)

So the question is, What CD-ROM should i buy?
I want\ed (because i don't sure if i want it or should i define it as "wanted" gotted???)
ASUS 52X but i've heard some bad things about him so my choice is :

Actima 52X
Aopen 52X
Asus 52X
Sony 52X
Creative 52X
Lite on 52X
Memorex 52X
Msi 56X
or Samsung 52X?????

it's important that it'll be the best quality, the best speed (i don't mean 52X or 56X i really don't care about these difrences but i do care from speed in a specific company) and the best!

By the way,
a couple of benchmarks betweem those CD-ROMS will be nice too.

Thanks in advance!

please answer just if you sure in 100%...

All the CD ROM drives you've listed are good products and with todays standards are probably very similar inside, you can get a lemon in even the highest grade products available, whichever one you decide to buy you'd be better off to buy locally, so if you have a problem you can exchange it.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I detest the Creative drives because myself and some others I know have had bad luck with them. I prefer Toshibas, Sonys, or Asus drives.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I had a creative 52x go south on me and so did the replacement. Today I installed a Sony 5221 and
Flamey was very accurate on his discription and opinion of this drive. It is very quiet and quick. I like very much.

<font color=green><b>Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened! :eek:

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
If you are talking about speed and quality (like the KenWood TrueX drives are the fastest, but break down easily and have other problems), Afreey would be the best there is. They have a 56x Though is it not the best reading scratched CDs or CD-Rs, beyond that it is superior to all other drives IMO.

Panthera

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
I have had good luck with the AOpen 52x, but recently upgraded a couple of computers with the AOpen 56x, which has been giving me fits. One was sent back after two weeks when it no longer detected disks. After I received the replacement, that on the other one read very slow and cause occasional lockups. I put the older 52x back in, and all was better. Perhaps AOpen has a problem with the 56x's.

Customer support was good though, and turnaround on the drive was about 2.5 weeks. However, the drive itself was junk.