fjsuarez

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
So I bought this 8 wire flat cable that I wanted to run under a carpet. My OS is Win 7 64-bit and it is showing me that I have a 10 Mbps connection. My router is a TL WR-941ND, which should be 100 Mbps capable.
After a couple of hours of googling, it seems that the problem for most people with this question was that their cables were crimped incorrectly. However, I'm at loss here because my cable seems to be crimped correctly. It follows the old color scheme. With the clip facing away from me, the order is: Blue, orange, black, red, green, yellow, brown, gray.
From what I've found, the pairs are blue/orange, black/yellow, red/green, brown/gray, so it should be correctly crimped.
Any hints are most welcome.

Solution
Yes it appears that cable should work for you. If you crimped it yourself, wire order is critical, but maybe you have it right and in that case, look at the properties of the LAN card... stuck on 10? Full/half duplex, etc.

fjsuarez

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Yes, on one end I have the router that I already mentioned (WR-941ND) and on the other I have the Atheros LAN chip on my Z77 motherboard which actually is 10/100/1000 Mbps.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
do you have another cable to test with? it maybe that the flat cable is getting interferance. The standard ethernet cables are twisted to reduce interferance and increase speed by error reduction. Its possible you have to much noise on the cable.

Standards? for flat cable? Then each conductor will need to be shielded, if even that could help. It's cat 5e (or 6) for a reason. The 'e' means certified for Ethernet use, not just a 4 line telephone system.

However, I will humor you and post a picture that tells a thousand words..... BTW, 568b is most popular.

ethernet.jpg

Yes it appears that cable should work for you. If you crimped it yourself, wire order is critical, but maybe you have it right and in that case, look at the properties of the LAN card... stuck on 10? Full/half duplex, etc.

Solution

fjsuarez

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Yes, I crimped the cable myself. It seems that it is not my LAN card as it works fine with a different cable.
And from what I've found online, my wires are in the right order.
I think I'm just going to switch to a conventional round UTP cable. My carpet will look bulky and awkward, but I guess it doesn't beat a faster network.

Well, so much for flat cable eh??? Sorry to hear it won't work for you. I tried one once and it was stuck on 10 so It had to go.