Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

QUESTION ABOUT WIRELESS MICS

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 7:44:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

when performing live... (or anything in the early 90s), and using a
wireless mic, would using that be able to let this happen:

a singer was singing live with a wireless mic, and had the mic a good
distance from his mouth but still in front of him... maybe at arms
length or a little less, and it still sounded as if his mouth was right
up next to mic... and not further off. when using the regular mic, it
wasnt like that, you could tell it was at a distance."

could a wireless mic cause it to sound as if his mouth was right up
against it as opposed to further away?

More about : question wireless mics

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 7:51:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

this was regarding a live concert movie. not a bootleg.. but an
official release and nothing else really seemed to be questionable.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 10:29:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

normaloil wrote ...
> this was regarding a live concert movie. not a bootleg.. but an
> official release and nothing else really seemed to be questionable.

The singer either had another body mic closer to his
mouth or else it was "looped" for the video/recording.

You can't break the laws of physics and get away with it.

That the mic was wireless has nothing to do with it.

In fact "wireless" mics are likely prefered by those who
are lip-syncing. :-) Wasn't it on "American Bandstand"
where all the acts were just lip-syncing to a recording of
their latest "hit" that the sound engineer just stuck a piece
of wire on an XLR connector to make a dummy mic look
like it was "wireless"?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 11:52:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

well, this happened to be U2's "Zoo TV: Live in Sydney" concert movie.
they always went to the B stage out in the middle of the audience
during these 2 songs in the show. the one before it seemed just fine..
but the 2nd one sounded different and even looked different being sung.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 11:54:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

did they use the extra body mics back in the early 90s, like 1992-93?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 12:10:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

also, can a mic be able to pick up an OK amount of vocals at that
length/distance? not where it sounds so close, but a good amount other
than distance vocals?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 12:46:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

normaloil wrote ...
> did they use the extra body mics back in the early 90s, like 1992-93?

Less likely. Which throws suspicion on the sound track being
replaced with something recorded in a studio.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 12:47:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

normaloil wrote ...
> also, can a mic be able to pick up an OK amount of vocals at that
> length/distance? not where it sounds so close, but a good amount other
> than distance vocals?

Generally no. Whether wired or wireless.
I suspect the audio track was replaced.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2005 9:04:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Richard Crowley wrote:

> normaloil wrote ...
>> also, can a mic be able to pick up an OK amount of vocals at that
>> length/distance? not where it sounds so close, but a good amount other
>> than distance vocals?
>
> Generally no. Whether wired or wireless.
> I suspect the audio track was replaced.

That seems likely, once we had the information that it was an official
release of a film.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 30, 2005 7:26:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

he had it up to his mouth and was still singing a low and soft part of
the song, and while still singing... slowly pulled it further away from
his mouth... and further.. and then kinda like finger tip to elbow
length away.. and it never sounded different.. like as if the mic was
further away and it sounded like he was still right up against mic.
like you can hear the "click" of him singing the "c" in "can't" in the
song, etc.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 30, 2005 7:41:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

normaloil wrote ...
> he had it up to his mouth and was still singing a low and soft part of
> the song, and while still singing... slowly pulled it further away
> from
> his mouth... and further.. and then kinda like finger tip to elbow
> length away.. and it never sounded different.. like as if the mic was
> further away and it sounded like he was still right up against mic.
> like you can hear the "click" of him singing the "c" in "can't" in
> the
> song, etc.

Clearly sound from a different performance (most likely in a studio).
Nothing magic. Don't believe everything you see on TV.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 30, 2005 11:14:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

<normaloil@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1117363461.936447.300940@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> a singer was singing live with a wireless mic, and had the mic a good
> distance from his mouth but still in front of him... maybe at arms
> length or a little less, and it still sounded as if his mouth was right
> up next to mic... and not further off. when using the regular mic, it
> wasnt like that, you could tell it was at a distance."

What do you mean by "it still sounded as if his mouth was right up next to
mic"?

Tim
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2005 1:29:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

normaloil@aol.com wrote:
> when performing live... (or anything in the early 90s),
and using a
> wireless mic, would using that be able to let this happen:
>
> a singer was singing live with a wireless mic, and had the
mic a good
> distance from his mouth but still in front of him... maybe
at arms
> length or a little less, and it still sounded as if his
mouth was
> right up next to mic... and not further off. when using
the regular
> mic, it wasnt like that, you could tell it was at a
distance."
>
> could a wireless mic cause it to sound as if his mouth was
right up
> against it as opposed to further away?

Very unlikely. Some wireless mics systems use mics that are
interchangable with wired mics. IOW, you can attach the same
basic mic wirelessly or via a wire. All other things being
equal, they sound pretty much the same. If anything the
wireless system has a bit more noise, not quite the dynamic
range, and maybe a little less frequency response.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2005 1:34:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

normaloil@aol.com wrote:
> well, this happened to be U2's "Zoo TV: Live in Sydney"
concert movie.
> they always went to the B stage out in the middle of the
audience
> during these 2 songs in the show. the one before it seemed
just fine..
> but the 2nd one sounded different and even looked
different being
> sung.

Oh, this was a movie? Do you not understand the extremem
potential there is to create fictional events in movies?

Ever hear of re-recording vocal tracks after the filming?

Ever hear of lip-synching with a vocal track and then
recording the track on the film?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2005 6:39:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

krueger: this was a LIVE CONCERT DVD.

U2 rarely, if ever does any redoing like that, and it sounds horribly
live at times and everyting else from this specific show matches with
the audio bootlegs made by fans and soundboard as it was that day. so
it is a little weird.

has anyone else ever seen this concert on tape?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2005 1:26:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

normaloil@aol.com wrote:

> krueger: this was a LIVE CONCERT DVD.

And your point is???

> U2 rarely, if ever does any redoing like that,

And you'e pt of their production team and intimiately
involved with the whole production process so you can say
this with perfect authority?

> and it sounds horribly
> live at times and everyting else from this specific show
matches with
> the audio bootlegs made by fans and soundboard as it was
that day. so
> it is a little weird.

...in your opinon...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2005 1:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On 31 May 2005 14:39:00 -0700, normaloil@aol.com wrote:

>U2 rarely, if ever does any redoing like that, and it sounds horribly
>live at times and everyting else from this specific show matches with
>the audio bootlegs made by fans and soundboard as it was that day. so
>it is a little weird.

Sounds like that particular song may have sounded just TOO "horribly
live" so they dubbed it.
!