what's it called - rack mount case empty for project

Last response: in Home Audio
May 30, 2005 1:51:30 PM

I want to build a power amp and house it in a 1U or 2U rack mount case.
But I can't seem to find the right wording for my Google search. I
get road cases that hold rack mount units and I get a lot of chassis
with computer stuff inside them. Can't find anyone that just sells
empty rack mount project case/boxes/chassis.

Anyone know what I mean, where I can get them or what the proper search
terms would be?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:51:31 PM

NGS wrote:

>I want to build a power amp and house it in a 1U or 2U rack mount case.
> But I can't seem to find the right wording for my Google search. I
>get road cases that hold rack mount units and I get a lot of chassis
>with computer stuff inside them. Can't find anyone that just sells
>empty rack mount project case/boxes/chassis.
>
>Anyone know what I mean, where I can get them or what the proper search
>terms would be?

Jameco offers a small line of them in various hights and depths. Link to
www.jameco.com and search on "case, rackmnt" (less the quotation marks)
or look in category Computer Products/Rack Mount Equiptment/ 19" Rackmount
Enclosures.

>Thanks

Yup.

| two, one and one make one."
May 30, 2005 1:51:31 PM

"NGS" <NGS@telrizon.com> wrote in message
>I want to build a power amp and house it in a 1U or 2U rack mount case.
>But I can't seem to find the right wording for my Google search. I get
>road cases that hold rack mount units and I get a lot of chassis with
>computer stuff inside them. Can't find anyone that just sells empty
>rack mount project case/boxes/chassis.
>
> Anyone know what I mean, where I can get them or what the proper
> search terms would be?

"rackmount chassis" and "rackmount enclosure" would be the
likely terms, but you will have to use lots of other terms to
exclude all the computers in rackmount boxes. As you have
discovered "case" is more likely to get hits on racks in road
cases, etc.
May 30, 2005 9:31:38 PM

>I want to build a power amp and house it in a 1U or 2U rack mount case.
> But I can't seem to find the right wording for my Google search. I
>get road cases that hold rack mount units and I get a lot of chassis
>with computer stuff inside them. Can't find anyone that just sells
>empty rack mount project case/boxes/chassis.
>
>Anyone know what I mean, where I can get them or what the proper search
>terms would be?

www.sescom.com has enclosures of this sort.

Bud and Hammond also make them. www.newarkinone.com probably carries
at least some of them.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
May 30, 2005 11:00:06 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:37:03 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"NGS" <NGS@telrizon.com> wrote in message
>>I want to build a power amp and house it in a 1U or 2U rack mount case.
>>But I can't seem to find the right wording for my Google search. I get
>>road cases that hold rack mount units and I get a lot of chassis with
>>computer stuff inside them. Can't find anyone that just sells empty
>>rack mount project case/boxes/chassis.
>>
>> Anyone know what I mean, where I can get them or what the proper
>> search terms would be?
>
>"rackmount chassis" and "rackmount enclosure" would be the
>likely terms, but you will have to use lots of other terms to
>exclude all the computers in rackmount boxes. As you have
>discovered "case" is more likely to get hits on racks in road
>cases, etc.

Transit Case

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:20:35 PM

"NGS" <NGS@telrizon.com> wrote in message news:JTEme.1441$hg.842@fe12.lga...
> I want to build a power amp and house it in a 1U or 2U rack mount case.
> But I can't seem to find the right wording for my Google search. I
> get road cases that hold rack mount units and I get a lot of chassis
> with computer stuff inside them. Can't find anyone that just sells
> empty rack mount project case/boxes/chassis.
>
> Anyone know what I mean, where I can get them or what the proper search
> terms would be?

Do you mean you want a case to house the amplifier components?

You can find this kind of thing under "instrument cases". Note that the
rack mounting may be achieved by bolting on brackets. Light equipment just
uses front brackets, while heavy equipment (amplifiers) will often use front
and rear brackets.

But if you're looking for a cabinet with rack strips to take items of
rack-mountable equipment, your local disco shop will sell them.

Still, other search terms youcan use are"19-inch"and "flightcase".

Tim
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:29:02 PM

"NGS" <NGS@telrizon.com> wrote in message news:JTEme.1441$hg.842@fe12.lga...
>I want to build a power amp and house it in a 1U or 2U rack mount case. But
>I can't seem to find the right wording for my Google search. I get road
>cases that hold rack mount units and I get a lot of chassis with computer
>stuff inside them. Can't find anyone that just sells empty rack mount
>project case/boxes/chassis.
>
> Anyone know what I mean, where I can get them or what the proper search
> terms would be?

"19 inch rack-mount case" works in all the electronic catalogues I've
seen.

geoff
!