How do I burn a CD with spaces??

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
I'm having a hard time trying to burn a CD with spaces.. Anyone have any idea how to burn a cd with spaces??

Example of a file:
when not burned "os support.htm"
when burned "os_support.htm"

Any idea how to get rid of that _?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm having a hard time trying to burn a CD with spaces.. Anyone have any idea how to burn a cd with spaces??

Example of a file:
when not burned "os support.htm"
when burned "os_support.htm"

Any idea how to get rid of that _?
I've never run into that except when burning ISO Level 1 format which restricts file names to the 8.3 naming convention (8 letters, numbers, or "_" followed by 3 for the extension).

You should not be having a problem if you are using <font color=green>ISO Level 2</font color=green> which allows 31 character names with no restrictions. ISO level 2 disks won't be readable in pure DOS.

There are more formats. See <A HREF="http://www.axis.com/techsup/cdsrv/storpoint_cdp/tech_notes/cd_formats.pdf" target="_new">this document</A>.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Well I'm not quite sure what iso level it is but lets say I extract the iso image file or bin image to my hardrive... Everything is there and the spaces between the file name is NOT replaced with an "_" so it looks perfectly fine..

Now can I just use Nero to burn the extracted files without any problems? You see I burned something and when installing it encountered an error not being able to find the file.. The file was there cept that there was a "_" between instead of a space... So it cancels the entire installation and I just chuck out the cdr...

And would you happen to know what options I should use in Nero for the best settings?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure what you mean. If you have an ISO image you just use it to burn a CDR. The new CDR will keep the same file naming convention.

If you are just copying files from your hard drive to a CDR using Nero click on the new compilation button. Next click on ISO tab. I think the defaults are ISO 9660, Mode 2/XA, and ISO Level 2. Whatever the defaults are, just don't select ISO Level 1.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Okay I have a Lite-On LTR-40125S 40x/12x/48x CD Writer.

I converted a bin image file (without a cue file) to an iso image with WinISO to save some space.
Some of the files in the iso image had more than one word.. So an example of a file would be "tech help.htm"...
When I burned the iso image, the file "tech help.htm" then turned in to "tech_help.htm" on the burned cdr.. Don't know how or why that happened so wondering if there is anyway to fix that problem?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know WinISO but are there any options in that program to select the ISO level. Maybe the ISO image has the bad file names.

Giving this a little thought, with an ISO image Nero would just burn exactly what is in the image. I'd say the bad names have to be in the image.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Well if I create a ISO image I think it's the standard ISO9660 format..

Hmm alright then I'll have to check it again. Thx

and thx for the tip 4ryan6... I'll check if it has that option.