Sign in with
Your question

Random "Error Loading Operating System" errors

Last response: in Storage
June 5, 2002 7:35:37 AM

Yesterday I upgraded my hard disk to an old 7200 RPM 15 GB IBM Deskstar I had. I simply cloned the disk with Ghost and everything was fine. However, now, when I boot my computer I randomly get "Error Loading Operating System" errors (sometimes these are replaced by a standard "Please insert a system disk..."). The disk is always detected at POST, but I often have to restart the computer several times, unplug the PSU, or cast a dark spell before it detects the boot partition. It's getting quite annoying, and I'm running out of things to sacrifice. Joking aside, does anyone have any ideas?
June 5, 2002 9:16:01 AM

What OS are you running? If Win9x/Me, did you try System File Checker/Scan Disk? W2k Check Disk? then maybe defrag. You may have a corrupt .dll/.vxd or a share violation, could be a drive/program mapping issue. A good diagnostic program may help. As a last alternative reinstall the OS.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>
June 5, 2002 4:31:15 PM

I'm running Windows 2000, but it doesn't appear to be a problem with it. When it actually loads, it runs fine, so I was thinking maybe the BIOS doesn't detect the hard disk properly all the time.
Related resources
June 5, 2002 8:53:01 PM

Yikes! I should also mention this is an IBM Deskstar 75GXP... Reading up on it, I'm just glad I've been this lucky. These things apperantly have a reputation for this.
June 6, 2002 3:34:39 AM

YEP! If its in warranty they will send you a (in theory) better drive....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
June 6, 2002 3:43:32 AM

I ran chkdsk /r and so far no bad sectors, but it still randomly doesn't boot, always with the same error even though it's recognized correctly in the BIOS. Anyway, I'm getting off of this ship before it sinks, and will be buying a 60 GB Maxtor or Seagate in the next few days.
June 6, 2002 4:28:54 PM

Ouch...I had that same HD. It died on me. Anyways, get <A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm" target="_new">Drive Fitness Test</A> free from IBM, and do a standard and thorough check of your hard drive. Chances are, it's about to die.

I hope you've backed up your stuff. If not, stick it in a Ziplock back, throwing it in the freezer for a couple of hours, and try to retrieve the data from it. I have the pdf file on it if you want more information and testimonials of this working.

I have more in my ramble about it at my site below.

Post back...
Bryan

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A>
<font color=red>Site's back up! L33t!</font color=red>
June 6, 2002 4:41:32 PM

Quote:
I'm getting off of this ship before it sinks

Apparently IBM has had the same idea...

<i>Does this count as Community Service, Officer?</i>
June 6, 2002 8:54:44 PM

I would go for the Western Digital special edition drive if you are interested in speed. The 80 gig version has hit stores and they are pretty cheap, only like 20 bucks more then a normal 80 gig!!!!

Also you should be able to RMA that drive you have for another from IBM....mail it to me if you dont want to id love a drive for the price of shipping it twice =)

TO: Poorboy: Yes indeed hahahahaha

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
!