Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Component Output receivers?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 3:15:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

After searching on "google" for 'MPEG2-DVB "Component Output" satellite', I
only found about 5 hits, with only one resolving to a receiver - called the
"Nova 2000/2100" (I guess there's two models - from "www.dvision.cn").

Is it too early for HDTV/Component Output MPEG2-DVB decoders to be popular and
on the market?

As all but my portable TV recently failed (the youngest being 15 years old), I
just went through a replacement cycle where I have either HD or HD-ready TV's.
I have noted that NBC's MPEG2 signal is at least of the 16:9 format if not HD,
but because I still have my functioning DMT-2050, I get an NTSC signal into my
TV (granted, one that is better than any OTA local signal), but still a 480
viewable line (out of 525) signal, not a 1080 line one. The OTA HDTV signal
for NBC will beat the MPEG2 signal in quality. :-(
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 3:15:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:15:28 GMT, "D. Stussy"
<kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:

>After searching on "google" for 'MPEG2-DVB "Component Output" satellite', I
>only found about 5 hits, with only one resolving to a receiver - called the
>"Nova 2000/2100" (I guess there's two models - from "www.dvision.cn").
>
>Is it too early for HDTV/Component Output MPEG2-DVB decoders to be popular and
>on the market?
>

No, it is too late. The major users of digital satellite (DBS, 4DTV,
and PowerVu) were given free reign on what they could do and chose
closed systems, so you have to buy what was available for their
platform, which being a mass consumer good, practically dictated
component out.
I there were told they had to stick to an open platform, you could
surely get a semblance of a DVB-FT component receiver.

Then again there is the Integra DVB receiver(s), which started life as
a pre VooM HDTV DBS service.

>As all but my portable TV recently failed (the youngest being 15 years old), I
>just went through a replacement cycle where I have either HD or HD-ready TV's.
>I have noted that NBC's MPEG2 signal is at least of the 16:9 format if not HD,
>but because I still have my functioning DMT-2050, I get an NTSC signal into my
>TV (granted, one that is better than any OTA local signal), but still a 480
>viewable line (out of 525) signal, not a 1080 line one. The OTA HDTV signal
>for NBC will beat the MPEG2 signal in quality. :-(

Then your only option would be the Integra.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 3:19:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"Component Video" is only about 5% better than regular S-Video output. Not
really worth the time & money. Also, its extremely hard for the human eye
to distinguish the differences between Component Video versus S-Video...




"D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.60.0407200623150.81@kd6lvw.ampr.org...
> After searching on "google" for 'MPEG2-DVB "Component Output" satellite',
I
> only found about 5 hits, with only one resolving to a receiver - called
the
> "Nova 2000/2100" (I guess there's two models - from "www.dvision.cn").
>
> Is it too early for HDTV/Component Output MPEG2-DVB decoders to be popular
and
> on the market?
>
> As all but my portable TV recently failed (the youngest being 15 years
old), I
> just went through a replacement cycle where I have either HD or HD-ready
TV's.
> I have noted that NBC's MPEG2 signal is at least of the 16:9 format if not
HD,
> but because I still have my functioning DMT-2050, I get an NTSC signal
into my
> TV (granted, one that is better than any OTA local signal), but still a
480
> viewable line (out of 525) signal, not a 1080 line one. The OTA HDTV
signal
> for NBC will beat the MPEG2 signal in quality. :-(
Related resources
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 6:01:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Gary Tait wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:15:28 GMT, "D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:
> >After searching on "google" for 'MPEG2-DVB "Component Output" satellite', I
> >only found about 5 hits, with only one resolving to a receiver - called the
> >"Nova 2000/2100" (I guess there's two models - from "www.dvision.cn").
> >
> >Is it too early for HDTV/Component Output MPEG2-DVB decoders to be popular and
> >on the market?
>
> No, it is too late. The major users of digital satellite (DBS, 4DTV,
> and PowerVu) were given free reign on what they could do and chose
> closed systems, so you have to buy what was available for their
> platform, which being a mass consumer good, practically dictated
> component out.

If I'm "too late," then shouldn't there be a used market for these devices?

You are aware that by "component out", I mean either RGB+HV or Y+Pr+Pb in
addition to audio R+L, not just video, audio R, and audio L, which seems to be
what many receivers put out. I haven't seen any used DBS receivers that have
component out. It seems to me that there was a "reverse evolution" of the
electronics here if what you say is correct.

> I there were told they had to stick to an open platform, you could
> surely get a semblance of a DVB-FT component receiver.
>
> Then again there is the Integra DVB receiver(s), which started life as
> a pre VooM HDTV DBS service.
>
> > ... The OTA HDTV signal for NBC will beat the MPEG2 signal in quality. :-(
>
> Then your only option would be the Integra.

OK.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:49:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:15:28 GMT, "D. Stussy"
<kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:

>After searching on "google" for 'MPEG2-DVB "Component Output" satellite', I
>only found about 5 hits, with only one resolving to a receiver - called the
>"Nova 2000/2100" (I guess there's two models - from "www.dvision.cn").
>
>Is it too early for HDTV/Component Output MPEG2-DVB decoders to be popular and
>on the market?
>
>As all but my portable TV recently failed (the youngest being 15 years old), I
>just went through a replacement cycle where I have either HD or HD-ready TV's.
>I have noted that NBC's MPEG2 signal is at least of the 16:9 format if not HD,
>but because I still have my functioning DMT-2050, I get an NTSC signal into my
>TV (granted, one that is better than any OTA local signal), but still a 480
>viewable line (out of 525) signal, not a 1080 line one. The OTA HDTV signal
>for NBC will beat the MPEG2 signal in quality. :-(



http://www.scopus.net/products/receivers.asp
http://www.computermodules.com/broadcast-systems/profes...


Sounds to me like you should get an HDD-200 and use it as a line
doubler in addition tom it's BUD HDTV duty.
An old Integra would also be a nice choice for you as well, but good
luck getting one.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 4:13:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:01:54 GMT, "D. Stussy"
<kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Gary Tait wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:15:28 GMT, "D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:
>> >After searching on "google" for 'MPEG2-DVB "Component Output" satellite', I
>> >only found about 5 hits, with only one resolving to a receiver - called the
>> >"Nova 2000/2100" (I guess there's two models - from "www.dvision.cn").
>> >
>> >Is it too early for HDTV/Component Output MPEG2-DVB decoders to be popular and
>> >on the market?
>>
>> No, it is too late. The major users of digital satellite (DBS, 4DTV,
>> and PowerVu) were given free reign on what they could do and chose
>> closed systems, so you have to buy what was available for their
>> platform, which being a mass consumer good, practically dictated
>> component out.
>
>If I'm "too late," then shouldn't there be a used market for these devices?

The ones on the market now (from the above digital systems) are
incapable of service as DVB-FTA boxes.

>
>You are aware that by "component out", I mean either RGB+HV or Y+Pr+Pb in
>addition to audio R+L, not just video, audio R, and audio L, which seems to be
>what many receivers put out. I haven't seen any used DBS receivers that have
>component out. It seems to me that there was a "reverse evolution" of the
>electronics here if what you say is correct.

Yes, I know what you mean by component. There are some DirecTV
receivers that have 480i component, but DirecTV is a big enough
market to develop them for.

What I am saying is that each platform has a separate evolution for
hardware development, and the ones with a large base get the toys
first. If they stuck to an common DVB platform from day , the core
hardware would have something closer to a common evolution line.


>
>> I there were told they had to stick to an open platform, you could
>> surely get a semblance of a DVB-FT component receiver.
>>
>> Then again there is the Integra DVB receiver(s), which started life as
>> a pre VooM HDTV DBS service.
>>
>> > ... The OTA HDTV signal for NBC will beat the MPEG2 signal in quality. :-(
>>
>> Then your only option would be the Integra.
>
>OK.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 4:36:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Why would you need component on a non hd receiver??? Most non hd chs
are over compressed or poor quality. Component in these receivers would
be a waste. Svideo,video L/R audio and coaxial is all thats needed in
these. The only thing that may help your DMT is a cheap line doubler.
Mike

D. Stussy wrote:
>
> After searching on "google" for 'MPEG2-DVB "Component Output" satellite', I
> only found about 5 hits, with only one resolving to a receiver - called the
> "Nova 2000/2100" (I guess there's two models - from "www.dvision.cn").
>
> Is it too early for HDTV/Component Output MPEG2-DVB decoders to be popular and
> on the market?
>
> As all but my portable TV recently failed (the youngest being 15 years old), I
> just went through a replacement cycle where I have either HD or HD-ready TV's.
> I have noted that NBC's MPEG2 signal is at least of the 16:9 format if not HD,
> but because I still have my functioning DMT-2050, I get an NTSC signal into my
> TV (granted, one that is better than any OTA local signal), but still a 480
> viewable line (out of 525) signal, not a 1080 line one. The OTA HDTV signal
> for NBC will beat the MPEG2 signal in quality. :-(
July 25, 2004 10:19:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Many of the SCART models that I have tested have switchable RGB or composite
available through the SCART connection. Most FTA receivers available in
North America have a SCART equivalent. I have one unit hooked up to my home
theater system and must say that that the 5% improvement with the RGB
connected looks much better than 5%. My monitor seems to process this type
of signal much better than the crawlies that I view with a Y/C signal. (I'm
curious where this 5% improvement figure came from!)
-------------------
Brian Gohl
Satellite Audio Video
http://www.adventistsat.com


"D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.60.0407200910440.59@kd6lvw.ampr.org...
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Gary Tait wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:15:28 GMT, "D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org>
wrote:
> > >After searching on "google" for 'MPEG2-DVB "Component Output"
satellite', I
> > >only found about 5 hits, with only one resolving to a receiver - called
the
> > >"Nova 2000/2100" (I guess there's two models - from "www.dvision.cn").
> > >
> > >Is it too early for HDTV/Component Output MPEG2-DVB decoders to be
popular and
> > >on the market?
> >
> > No, it is too late. The major users of digital satellite (DBS, 4DTV,
> > and PowerVu) were given free reign on what they could do and chose
> > closed systems, so you have to buy what was available for their
> > platform, which being a mass consumer good, practically dictated
> > component out.
>
> If I'm "too late," then shouldn't there be a used market for these
devices?
>
> You are aware that by "component out", I mean either RGB+HV or Y+Pr+Pb in
> addition to audio R+L, not just video, audio R, and audio L, which seems
to be
> what many receivers put out. I haven't seen any used DBS receivers that
have
> component out. It seems to me that there was a "reverse evolution" of the
> electronics here if what you say is correct.
>
> > I there were told they had to stick to an open platform, you could
> > surely get a semblance of a DVB-FT component receiver.
> >
> > Then again there is the Integra DVB receiver(s), which started life as
> > a pre VooM HDTV DBS service.
> >
> > > ... The OTA HDTV signal for NBC will beat the MPEG2 signal in
quality. :-(
> >
> > Then your only option would be the Integra.
>
> OK.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 11:26:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Gary Tait wrote:
> ...
> What I am saying is that each platform has a separate evolution for
> hardware development, and the ones with a large base get the toys
> first. If they stuck to an common DVB platform from day , the core
> hardware would have something closer to a common evolution line.

OK. I asked for confirmation because that's not "evolution" but quite the
opposite. Interesting that TV's are moving one direction and satellite
receivers are going the opposite way. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :-(
!