What is better, DVD-RW or DVD+RW

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
I'm building a home PC, and am curious to Know what Toms Forum members think is the most useful, the DVD-RW or the DVD+RW, and what brand is the best value for the money? I have a Pioneer DVD player DV-K302CD and I want to be able to play the DVD's that I make on my home player...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kdo2milger on 06/06/02 06:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
No they are NOT the same thing. They're rival standards developed by 2 groups of manufacturers (although some companies are behind both). Pioneer is the most ardent producer of DVD-R/RW. Philips, HP and others have started to produce DVD+RW (and only recently DVD+R) drives. www.tech-report.com had an excellent article on comparing actual drives and the discs (speed, quality, compatibility, etc.) Check their article for a detailed comparison.

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Anyone have any new news about DVD+RW or DVD-RW, on which one is the better value verses options?

We all love disassembling things to see how it works, but who wants to put it back together again?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
personally i would wait!
this -RW vs +RW reeks of the old VHS vs BETAMAX conflict... with alot of people ending up with pretty useless hardware as a result.

let them sort it out, so that we get one standard that everyone uses.

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, if you're talking about disks, the DVD+ is the better stuff. Little better reflectivity, so it's readable in a whole bunch more drives. Usually ever-so-slightly faster, but you're hard pressed to tell the difference.

But it costs almost exactly double of what the DVD- stuff does. $2/4 vs. $4/8.

If you are cranking out disks (like I do), you're going to see your wallet dwindle. And those coasters aren't the $.32 kind, so they ReAlLy SuXoR!!!!!

Coaster == Bad

Plus, like someone already said, the whole 'standard' issue is up in the air. "The good thing about standards is there are so many to choose from" is the deal here.

I think DVD+ will come out on top, but the price for the media has got to come down, which means more people (i.e. large corporations) have to buy them to drive down the plant costs.

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Makes sense, I'm hoping the prices on the media will go down considerably within the next 3-6 months...
I got my Eye on the HP200i DVD+R/RW drive, it seems to have the most compatibility w/ other DVD readers, both home and PC type. I wonder if I will have to use a Vantec HDC-592A HDD Cooler, because I understand that the sealed unit types run particularly hot. Whats your opinion on that, and what if anything are you using?

<font color=red><b>Wealllovedisassemblingthingstoseehowitworks,butwhowantstoputitbacktogetheragain?

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
<b>So I've decided, and my Final decision is to go with the Pioneer A04, or the pioneer 104 OEM. These are by far the best value for the dollar, because of wider compatibility across the board and less expensive media...so thats that!!! :smile:

<font color=red><b>Wealllovedisassemblingthingstoseehowitworks,butwhowantstoputitbacktogetheragain?