Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista 32-bit install OEM Win7 64-Bit

Last response: in Windows 7
April 12, 2012 11:07:15 AM

Hello,

I am wanting to find out a few things and get the right advice before my next move;

I have a system that is using 32-bit Vista and would like to install windows 7 64-bit.

My question is, can I wipe everything and install a Win7 64-bit OEM version if I was to buy a new hard drive?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

a b $ Windows 7
April 12, 2012 11:10:40 AM

"can I wipe everything and install a Win7 64-bit OEM version if I was to buy a new hard drive? "

Sure. You can also reuse your existing hard drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 12, 2012 11:14:40 AM

Hello lcrgosford;

The upgrade version of Win7 is just $10 more than OEM.

If you're getting a new hard drive you don't need to wipe the Vista32bit install.
You can put the Win7 64bit install directly on the new hard drive.
That will let you keep Vista32 as a 'backup' OS till you have Win7 and all your programs running the way you like.
You'll have a dual boot system with a choice to boot into Win764 or Vista32.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 11:15:51 AM

Thanks for your quick reply..
I am just a little confused with the system builder licensing - I would of thought that I would of needed to build a whole new machine (mobo, hdd etc) to install OEM software?
m
l
April 12, 2012 11:46:52 AM

usually they wont sell you oem unless your purchasing a mobo as part of the order and even then thats locked to that specific mobo after that. but good move dont waste your time with dual boot or upgrading back up what u need and format your hard drive you would be suprised how much extra performance just from that. delete all reminders of vista and never look back, you'll love win 7
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 12, 2012 11:50:09 AM

For just $10 more I'd have to say the upgrade route is the way to go.
The OEM version is not for what you intend.
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:38:39 PM

I've installed and activated the same Windows 7 64bit system builder edition, on an AMD motherboard with a mechanical harddrive, that same motherboard with a solid state drive, and an Intel motherboard with the same solid state drive. That's 3 separate installs on different hardware with the same software. My Windows XP 32bit system builder edition has been installed on numerous different sets of hardware without issue. I haven't had to call Microsoft a single time to clear the hardware ID my software license is tied to, so I doubt they even track that.

OEM edition may be different (the version you get when you buy a computer from a vendor), but if you get system builder edition you should be able to install and use that license on whatever you want. The big difference is it's a lot cheaper than the retail version and you don't get Microsoft tech support (who needs that anyway?).
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
April 12, 2012 2:43:25 PM

Your choice OEM or Upgrade Version
OEM - Is tied to MB so can ONLY legally be uesd for the system orginally installed on. Only exception is if MB dies a 1000 deaths. Can not port to a new MB when you upgrade MB if MB is still a "working" MB.

With new HDD.
- Important - DISCONNECT your Vista HDD until AFTER you have installed windows 64 bit onto new HDD. Once Installation of windows 7 is completed: reconnect Vista HDD and You can copy your favorites over to New OS. You can also Boot to either vista or Windows 7 and when completely satisfied with windows 7 then you can delete the Vista operating system.

With Upgrade version, two install methods.
.. Simplest, just pop in win 7 and upgrade. It will delete vista ( some files will be placed in a directory called "old windows"

.. Method I prefer is do Do a clean install. With a new HDD DISCONNECT the Vista HDD.
1) Must select Custom Install, not Upgrade. and DO NOT enter the Key during install!!
2) Once Install is completed, windows updates completed, drivers loaded and your programs installed you MUST do the folowing two steps.
.. A) Registry edit to change mediaBootInstall from a 1 to a 0
.. B) Run a Dos rearm Cmd.
.. C) Only after the above two actions have been completed, Activate, At this TIME enter your windows key.
NOTE A & B steps may sound intimidating, but are simple will post the two sets
AGAIN you will be able to daul boot to vista or windows 7.

PLEASE Note: windows 7 does NOT have an email program (It does, just can't use the dagburn program).

OK back - From PC Maxium:
For changing MediaBootInstal:
A true geek has never been intimidated by the registry, but lets face it, it's a mess in there. To access the registry you will first need to open up the start menu and type "regedit" into the search field, followed by enter. To find the proverbial needle in this haystack, you will need to navigate through the tabs listed on the left in the following order:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ . If you don't like doing it the hard way just click Edit then Find and type MediaBootInstall into the search field, and press enter.

Once found, double click MediaBootInstall and change the "1" to a "0". Once you have finished this, simply click Ok and close out the Registry Editor.

NOW for Rearm:
Before we try to activate our copy of Windows, we need to reset or "Re-Arm" the activation sequence. To do this, simply open up the start menu and type cmd but instead of just pressing enter, you need to press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Enter" to run it as an administrator. You can also accomplish this by clicking the start menu, typing cmd into the search box, then right clicking the command prompt application and selecting Run as administrator.

Once the command prompt appears type slmgr /rearm and press enter. Next simply type Exit and hit enter again, after which it will ask you to restart your machine.
April 12, 2012 2:46:44 PM

If u already have Windows 7 64 bit
I would recommend you let vista die and just install windows 7 on either your old formated hard drive or your new hard drive

m
l
April 12, 2012 2:48:35 PM

jasont78 said:
usually they wont sell you oem unless your purchasing a mobo as part of the order and even then thats locked to that specific mobo after that. but good move dont waste your time with dual boot or upgrading back up what u need and format your hard drive you would be suprised how much extra performance just from that. delete all reminders of vista and never look back, you'll love win 7

You don't have to purchase a motherboard to buy an OEM copy of Windows. Just go to any place that sells computer parts, newegg, amazon, etc. They will all sell you an OEM copy of windows without the purchase of a system or even a single part.
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:00:21 AM

Thank you for all your help, mostly appreciated :) 
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:00:35 AM

Best answer selected by lcrgosford.
m
l
!