Question about VPN latency.

KanagiF

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Okay, so I recently upgraded two of the computers in my store, and my old networking guy set up my original computers (Networking is not my specialty) My old computers basically ran like this.

The original one had "MySQL Server" running in it's task bar. (Actually the original computer is still the same. I only completely replaced the second).

The second computer though had something like an SVN program or something? I'm not completely sure. But in terms of speed with connecting to the main computer's server for my point of sale, it was extremely quick. Almost as quick as the main computer.

However, once I re-built the second, the only way I know how to get it to connect directly to the PC is via Hamachi. So I threw on Hamachi, and it DID connect the point of sale to the server, but at an extremely slow rate. Taking almost 10 seconds per change when it has a 32MS to the server.

I have virtually nothing to go off of for more information, but does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Since I opened another store, and took the other computer there, it's slow speed sometimes causes me issues. Especially with credit card transactions.

(P.S. I still have the old original computer, but I re-installed Windows and reformed it. But even it's network doesn't work anymore.)

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Not very much information here to go on.

As far as SVN, the only SVN I know of is a system for managing source code changes ( http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~vailen/svn_howto.htm ). So at first blush, it appears this is probably unrelated to your current problems.

I'm puzzled as well why you use Hamachi. Yes, Hamachi is great, but that's a VPN, intended to secure network communications between computers. But generally that's appropriate/necessary only when communications will require use of the public infrastructure, such as the internet. But (presumably) these two computers lie within a LOCAL network, so it's shouldn’t be necessary. You should be able to use simple, basic TCP/IP networking protocols to communicate between them.

So once again, it’s hard to get a grasp of what you really have there and how it’s configured. Until we have a lot more details, I’m afraid resolution will prove elusive.

KanagiF

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

Originally they were on a LAN but now the computer is actually a completely different store than this one. I use Hamachi so it can even connect to the MySQL database. I don't know really anything about TCP/IP networking between them.

Essentially I have a server with the PoS's ports open at Store A. 2 miles away I have Computer B with the point of sale, and Hamachi.

I do know if I close the MySQL on the primary comp, the second one is no longer able to connect. Gets a 'can not connect to MySQL database' error.

If you moved them from being on the same LAN to being separated by the Internet, then that would explain why there might be an increase in latency. All that routing outside your network takes its toll.

As far as MySQL, it appears the POS system uses it for its database, so it must be kept running (the system tray icon should be left alone, it only verifies it’s up and running). But that SQL database is still local to the system that uses it, so it shouldn't have any impact on performance (not unless the SQL database is stored and accessed remotely, which seems unlikely).