Arny & techies - New frequency response graphs

Last response: in Home Audio
June 7, 2005 7:54:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Alright, I took your suggestions (thanks everyone) and redid the test
using a single mic, single speaker configuration in a relatively open
space outside (wasn't able to raise it too much off the ground). The mic
is placed about 29" from the center point between the woofer and
tweeter. The wind and background noise was very minimal except for a few
birds chirping....but considering the speakers were outputting about
80dB SPL I doubt that had much effect. Anyway, the results look much
better this time!

- Frequency Response test using Right Mark Audio Analyzer:

Left LS3/5A: http://www.geocities.com/jdurangoproductions/freqrespL....

Right LS3/5A: http://www.geocities.com/jdurangoproductions/freqrespR....

- RMAA's Spectrum Analysis of 16-bit recorded Pink Noise:

Left LS3/5A:
http://www.geocities.com/jdurangoproductions/spectanaly...

Right LS3/5A:
http://www.geocities.com/jdurangoproductions/spectanaly...

It still looks like the HF output might be a few dB low. What do you
think? 3 or 4 dB sound about right?

Otherwise does the response look pretty flat? What about the dip @ about 5k?

Anyhow, the speakers were built to very exact specs and all materials
construction techniques were carefully researched and discussed over in
the LS3/5A yahoo group (I think those guys loathe me now, lol
jk)...Anyhow, I used to build guitars as a hobby so this was a
relatively simple project. It's just the electrical/techy stuff that I
need help with.

For those interested, I'll have a webpage up very soon with very
detailed pictures and instructions for how to build your own LS3/5A's.
Most of the info I got for my own project, including full cabinet specs
was from www.ls35a.com ....Thanks again everyone!!

Jonny Durango
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:54:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Jonny Durango" wrote ...
> Anyhow, the speakers were built to very exact specs and all materials
> construction techniques were carefully researched and discussed over
> in the LS3/5A yahoo group (I think those guys loathe me now, lol
> jk)...Anyhow, I used to build guitars as a hobby so this was a
> relatively simple project. It's just the electrical/techy stuff that I
> need help with.
>
> For those interested, I'll have a webpage up very soon with very
> detailed pictures and instructions for how to build your own LS3/5A's.
> Most of the info I got for my own project, including full cabinet
> specs was from www.ls35a.com ....Thanks again everyone!!

Are drivers still available?
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:02:24 AM

Jonny Durango wrote:
> Left LS3/5A: http://www.geocities.com/jdurangoproductions/freqrespL....

You're out of traffic. Check out <http://www.imageshack.us&gt;, they will
host your images.

Johann, f'up 2 rap
--
pjiogfdöhuiofsdühuiosdfohuinjklvsdfasdüjiofsdüjiofasdüjiofasdoüjifsdjis
dffasdjisdfaiojdfasjisdfaüjiosdfaioüjsdfaoüjifasdüjiodfasüjiodfasioüjsd

Jonny Durango wrote:

> - Frequency Response test using Right Mark Audio Analyzer:

Looks OK at a brief glance. Covering the front of the box with thin felt
may smoothen it, may - nothing promised. If it results in a muffled
sound you have forgotten to make cutouts for the loudspeaker units ....
O;-)

[ durango commenting on the pink noise graph ]

> It still looks like the HF output might be a few dB low. What do you
> think? 3 or 4 dB sound about right?

I think it is neat and that you get confused by using a display that
displays white noise as linear.

> Otherwise does the response look pretty flat? What about the dip @ about 5k?

Just what is the cross-over frequency and slope? - have you tried
playing white noise and move your head up and down in front of the
loudspeaker while some no more than 2 feet away, the treble unit
polarity that gives the smoothest transition up-down with fewest audible
sharp dips is likely to be the correct one.

> For those interested, I'll have a webpage up very soon with very
> detailed pictures and instructions for how to build your own LS3/5A's.
> Most of the info I got for my own project, including full cabinet specs
> was from www.ls35a.com ....Thanks again everyone!!

That would be a very useful resource. I will appreciate getting an email
when it is up, I may want to add a link to it to my site.

> Jonny Durango

Kind regards

Peter Larsen