Any Car Amp techs out there ? (Kicker)

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 7, 2005 11:06:49 PM

howdy;

I'm having a real problem with this kicker amp (ZR600).
It came in with a "hissing" sound coming right from the pc board and it
was drawing a few amps just idling.

What appears to be happening is some kind of open ground problem near
the input/preamp which is creating a high amplitude "hum" overdriving
the output stage into overheating. I have been checking RCA grounds,
open resistors, pcboard cracks. Seems like I'm going round and round
with this.

I'm guessing that the hiss is from the power supply
trying to squat out the power of the output pushing a 60 or 30 hz
signal at full bore !(the hiss actually appears to originate at the
toriod.

Lo and behold another Kicker amp (ZR1000) came in last week.
Guess what ? Same problem !!

I hope someone can help !!!!
Sparkey

More about : car amp techs kicker

June 8, 2005 2:15:22 AM

Radio-frequency oscillation, maybe? Check with an oscilloscope.

"Sparkey" <wwspage@aol.com> wrote in message
> howdy;
>
> I'm having a real problem with this kicker amp (ZR600).
> It came in with a "hissing" sound coming right from the pc board and it
> was drawing a few amps just idling.
>
> What appears to be happening is some kind of open ground problem near
> the input/preamp which is creating a high amplitude "hum" overdriving
> the output stage into overheating. I have been checking RCA grounds,
> open resistors, pcboard cracks. Seems like I'm going round and round
> with this.
>
> I'm guessing that the hiss is from the power supply
> trying to squat out the power of the output pushing a 60 or 30 hz
> signal at full bore !(the hiss actually appears to originate at the
> toriod.
>
> Lo and behold another Kicker amp (ZR1000) came in last week.
> Guess what ? Same problem !!
>
> I hope someone can help !!!!
> Sparkey

June 9, 2005 4:08:27 AM

>> I'm guessing that the hiss is from the power supply
>> trying to squat out the power of the output pushing a 60 or 30 hz
>> signal at full bore !(the hiss actually appears to originate at the
>> toriod.
>>
>> Lo and behold another Kicker amp (ZR1000) came in last week.
>> Guess what ? Same problem !!

>Radio-frequency oscillation, maybe? Check with an oscilloscope.

One cause I've seen for a high-frequency hiss from power supplies, is
a switching power supply which incorporates one or more electrolytic
capacitors that have gone high-ESR or leaky. Look for noise or
ripple on the DC supply rails.

Check the 'lytics. See if any of them show tell-tale signs of
swelling, a bulge in the upper surface of the can, or leakage of
electrolyte.

A whole bunch of consumer and professional electronics have failed,
over the past few years, due to the use of electrolytic caps which
were built with a defective (stolen-via-incompetent-industrial-
espionage) electrolyte formula.

If in doubt, rip 'em out and replace with high-quality low-ESR
high-temperature-rated (105-degree-C) switching power supply filter
caps.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
June 9, 2005 1:32:57 PM

Sparkey wrote:

> howdy;
>
> I'm having a real problem with this kicker amp (ZR600).
> It came in with a "hissing" sound coming right from the pc board and it
> was drawing a few amps just idling.
>
> What appears to be happening is some kind of open ground problem near
> the input/preamp which is creating a high amplitude "hum" overdriving
> the output stage into overheating. I have been checking RCA grounds,
> open resistors, pcboard cracks. Seems like I'm going round and round
> with this.
>
> I'm guessing that the hiss is from the power supply
> trying to squat out the power of the output pushing a 60 or 30 hz
> signal at full bore !(the hiss actually appears to originate at the
> toriod.
>
> Lo and behold another Kicker amp (ZR1000) came in last week.
> Guess what ? Same problem !!
>
> I hope someone can help !!!!
> Sparkey

Common car amp problems:
Vaporized ground on the input side rca jacks.
Broke off capacitor leads from metal fatigue. (Mainly PS side)
Domed or split capacitor tops from out gassing.
leaky or damaged FETs (change them all in a PS or amp channel.
Open resistors (looking damaged or not)
noisy OP amps
bad solder joints.

Bob

June 15, 2005 5:28:49 PM

I appreciate all who posted on this problem.

Here's what I found...

The problem on the ZR600 seems to be in the crossover module (insert)

When I pulled the module out and tried one from another Kicker amp
the hum was gone along with the over heating and the amp performs
just fine.

The search for the hum continues.....
I've tested every cap, resistor and connection on the module.
Even swapped out the two TLO74C op amps and no difference.

There's got to be an open or otherwise bad component on this
board unless this module just does not work with this amp.
Although, on the PCboard it says "for use with all Kicker amplifiers.

The quest continues........

Spark
!