Sign in with
Your question

Share Speakers

Last response: in Components
June 6, 2002 6:55:27 AM

I have 3 computers in a single room. Each have it's own monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I want all of the computers to sharing my 5.1 speaker system. I want the speakers to be able to output sound from different computer at same time. How can I do it?

More about : share speakers

June 6, 2002 3:30:01 PM

If you seriously wanna risk blowing up your speakers....

Go to radio shack and buy all the y-connectors and extentions you need to just plug everything into the one speaker set. Have fun while the speakers last-)

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
June 7, 2002 4:08:29 AM

Any other suggestions????
Related resources
June 7, 2002 4:25:27 PM

buy 3 sets of speakers.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
June 7, 2002 6:01:25 PM

That will not be sharing.
June 7, 2002 8:40:51 PM

But it's the only two options you have. Share and blow the speakers or buy three separate sets.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 8, 2002 12:37:21 AM

I do not want to have 3 speakers stand next to each other. I think it looks crowded.
June 8, 2002 6:15:35 AM

Here's an IDEA for you! Grab some stereo minijack patch cables. Link the audio out of computer one to the audio in of computer two. Then #2 to #3. Now there will be some loss in quality between computers, but it will work fine, as long as you unmute the normally muted line in jacks.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 8, 2002 6:54:39 AM

That would be a great idea. I will use it until I get other method. Thanks.
Anonymous
June 8, 2002 4:47:19 PM

If you were to mix the signals properly before routing them to the speakers there wouldn't be a problem. But since your asking you probably don't know much about doing it. Me either, I think it's just a matter of rounding up the right equipment and knowing how to use it though.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knewton on 06/08/02 09:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
June 8, 2002 4:51:37 PM

oops screw up.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knewton on 06/08/02 09:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 10, 2002 12:34:52 AM

Hmm, yea actually that could work... Just tried hooking a souce to GTXP's line in (my sony discman through my amplifier), unmuted line in, hit play(btw, that makes a hell of alot better sound than playing through your cd drive i found out). Then i fired i fired up a game and sure enough, soundcard outputs both sounds to the speakers with no loss of quality, and all sounds remained distinct and clear on my z-560's from both the game and the cd player at the same time. So, yes this idea would work fully. Daisy chain the speakers.

Small variation on my origional suggestion-) but then i didnt think it would output both types of sound at once. Turns out it does, quite happily. Since the sound from external source basically runs straight through the SC and isnt origionated from the pc it doesnt take any processing power either.

June 10, 2002 10:34:18 PM

I am in awe of your superior intellect.

June 10, 2002 11:43:44 PM

LOL, thanks, now find me a job. I keep telling potential employers that I can provide inovative solutions to their design problems, but they don't listen, they've heard it all before by lesser men with better presentation.

June 10, 2002 11:58:24 PM

So get a better presentation :lol: 

If I had any clue whatsoever of a company that offered the kind of work you're looking for, then I might be able to help you.

June 11, 2002 2:24:49 PM

cables.com?

June 11, 2002 4:35:40 PM

i think you wouldn't have a fine sound. you may have some inteferences. (this is because it exists golden jacks and RCAs). moreover this audio signal is very low (voltage and amperage are lowest) and very perceptive from that kind of interferences. thus you might sense the modifications. plus you increase the wandered distance by the audio signal which involves a drop of it.
June 11, 2002 5:03:43 PM

Radio Shack. Walmart. Etc.

June 11, 2002 5:06:57 PM

Yes, it gets a little fuzzier every card it passes through. How fuzzy depends on the cards and the cables. But the level of signal loss may be small enough to be acceptable, depending on what you're doing. And this type of settup also enables PC to PC recording of audio files that would otherwize be unsavable or unrecordable do to security features.

June 11, 2002 6:47:25 PM

You could do what i'm doing with my cd player now... I plugged the discman into the headphone amplifier which i plugged into the GTXP which is plugged into my Logitech Z-560 speakers and i swear to god you've never heard sound that good come from pc speakers. I swear it, its like perfect.

*dies in music bliss*

Oh yea, you actually have to buy cd's to get that sound.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 06/11/02 02:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 11, 2002 7:09:15 PM

Hmm, can't I just write the CD's from pirated MP3's?

June 12, 2002 4:32:54 PM

you've still lost the quality from the origional CD. So, you can but its no different than playing an mp3 off your hard drive. Real CD just sounds better if its a well recorded cd.

June 13, 2002 4:00:58 AM

I have some MP3's at 320k, I can't tell the difference at that high a bit rate.

June 13, 2002 2:42:13 PM

I record all my mp3's at that rate, and i can't tell the difference either when i play them both off the pc. But what i'm sayin is if you use a fairly nice cd player instead of the pc then you can tell the difference-) Trust me, I was surprised at the increase in quality i got using Z-560 speakers, i'd never heard them sound that good as when i hooked up my nice portable cd player.

Hmm, wouldn't be possible to record mp3's from a cd player would it? Or perhaps you have a higher quality CD drive than i do, don't know for sure, might never, but this works best for me-)

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 06/13/02 10:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 13, 2002 8:55:11 PM

Could be that the portable CD player increases the bass frequencies or something, my SQ2500 has a built in hardware equalizer.

June 13, 2002 9:42:19 PM

I'm running the portable cd player into my Total Airhead headphone amplifier and from that the signal is split from a 1/8 mini stereo jack to left and right RCA plugs which plug into the front of the GTXP breakout box. I DO NOT use bass boost on the cd player, i tried it and it doesnt sound good at all on speakers, only on headphones. So, i'm using plain standard setttings on the player. I'm not into heavy bass music though, been playing alot of classical and Hans Zimmer / John Williams sountracks on it along with some Elton John and John Denver and Celine Dion music. Setup performs magically well on all those. Give it a try=)

!