Nook kicks my laptop off

Status
Not open for further replies.

enixcell

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I have a problem. everytime my brothers nook connect internet my laptop loses connection. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

My router is a netgear wnr2000.
My laptop is a Lenovo y570 with windows 7

Solution
Yes, your router has address reservation (aka reserved dynamic addresses), see 4-5 of your manual. That allows the DHCP to handle all of the addresses, but always assigns those as if they were static but still are under DHCP control.

Also see page 2-6 and change your channel setting from auto to a specific selected channel. If you are both wireless N set your mode to up to 300Mbps but if one is G set it to up to 54Mbps and see if that helps the dropout. It may be an issue that the mode is changing when he logs on.

RealBeast

Titan
It sounds like an IP address conflict -- check your router and see what your IP address is either on your computer in the command prompt by typing ipconfig or in the IP table of the router and them have him logon his Nook and see what address it gets.

You could always try giving dynamic reserved addresses to the two devices -- look at your manual on using address reservation.

enixcell

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

I tried assigning a static IP and no go.
His IP was .08 and mine was .150.
I get a connection until he turns on his wireless. After that, I lose connection

enixcell

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

The signal strength is very strong. I am about 6 feet away from my router. My laptop does receive internet using a wired connection. I have used other channels. I am using a different channel than everyone else. I am 11 while everyone else is 6. Thanks for your help.

RealBeast

Titan
You can't really have two channels using 6 and 11 with consumer wireless routers unless you have a separate AP. One of those networks is not yours. Your should be the stronger since you are only 6 feet away -- take a look at the SSID.

One other question, if you are connected by an Ethernet cable, do you still get booted from the network by his logging in?

Yes, the latest Nook models are b/g/n.

I would also recommend that you review your DHCP settings and if available on your router, instead of static addresses use dynamic reserved addresses. Then set all devices to automatically obtain an address from the gateway. Also just for fun, make sure that you are using WPA2 security and have WPS disabled.

enixcell

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I do not lose access if connected via an ethernet cable.
About the channels, the strange thing is that it changes back and forth.
It will first say 2+6 then change to 6+10. also, there will be a huge dip in amplitude followed with the channel change.

my router doesn't have the ability to reserve addresses.
all devices have it set so an IP assess is automatically handed out.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Also, status wise, it is always indentifying

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, your router has address reservation (aka reserved dynamic addresses), see 4-5 of your manual. That allows the DHCP to handle all of the addresses, but always assigns those as if they were static but still are under DHCP control.

Also see page 2-6 and change your channel setting from auto to a specific selected channel. If you are both wireless N set your mode to up to 300Mbps but if one is G set it to up to 54Mbps and see if that helps the dropout. It may be an issue that the mode is changing when he logs on.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.