Can't install 120 GB disk - HELP !

allanklo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002
I have a PIII machine, with a 20 GB disk. I want to use my PC for editing video, so I've purchased a 120 GB disk, only to find out that my BIOS only supports max 75 GB disks. (I've upgraded the BIOS).
I've just recently found out that by using so called 2 channel ATA133 adapter, I can add up to 4 IDE disks, furthermore there are no limitations regarding disk size.
I mean, is it that simple ? Just adding a controller, and I can install as much storage place as I want ?
Please help, anyone, use the email address at the bottom

regards

Allan
aklo@fikas.no

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, just add a contoller card, select SCSI as your first boot device in BIOS, and plug the IDE cable into the new controller card. Bang, you're done.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

No, unless you are removing that 20gb drive!

<A HREF="http://www.koalanet.com/australian-slang.html" target="_new">Aussie slang</A>

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
If you set scsi to be first boot device, then it will try to boot that disk. Just keep first boot device as C: if you don't want that.

<i>It's all the same with the lights off</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was kind of asuming you wanted to boot off it. Like the last guy said, you can leave your OS on the other disk if you like. You can even leave the other disk on your motherboard's IDE connector if you like. In fact, if you decide to use both the onboard IDE interface and the card, there are any number of ways you can do it.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

moonglum

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Did you manage to get this one working?

Cheers.

Moon.

A journey of a thousand miles
begins with just one step. :tongue: