Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)

Tags:
  • MPEG DVB
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 6:35:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)

If so ..... how ???


The listing at http://www.lyngsat.com/ia6.html shows that the "Intelsat
Americas 6 at 93.0°W" satellite is now carrying "Classic Arts Showcase"
on a frequency of 11386 horizontal with a Symbol Rate of 7180.

The website http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/get.html does not mention
that this channel is available via satellite other than C-band.

In the past I have found the Lyngsat listings to be very accurate and
timely, but I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to pick up this
channel with my Fortec Lifetime receiver. I tried "satellite scan" and
found nothing on that frequency, but I did find a few backhaul feeds from
the hurricane damaged area of Florida plus Gene Scott's "University
Network" plus Bloomberg and a few more channels. My Fortec is a Lifetime
(pre-March '04) so I don't have the blind search feature. I also tried
the "Advanced Scan" feature by keying in the frequency mentioned on
Lyngsat but got no channel. I also tried the "Network Scan" and the
listing did not contain the "11386 H" freq .... there was a listing for
"11384 V".

The Lyngsat listing shows it to be DVB. It does not specifically say that
it is FTA but I am sure that it would be because it has always been a
FREE channel. It runs a banner periodically proclaiming that it is FREE
and will always be FREE. Of all the channels up there this is my all-time
favorite and if I could receive it on Ku-DVB-FTA, I would immediately
install a locked-down and dedicated dish and maybe even a separate
receiver just to receive this channel 24/7. Many years ago, I kept a C-
band dish dedicated to receive this channel, but growth of my neighbor's
trees has made that option impossible these days.

I am at my wit's end. I can only conclude that the Lyngsat listing is
incorrect. If anyone can receive this channel, please let me know what
type of receiver is required. Thanks .....

PON

More about : receive channel read

August 16, 2004 6:35:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
news:Xns954761C0768BAblurryvision@24.93.43.119...
> Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
>
<SNIP>

yea its there, it on 11836 H 7180
v/a/pcr 1160/1120/1160

it scans in as "ascent media" and scans in as encrypted signal, but its
clear
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 9:40:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"m0nkey" <allah@achtung.com> wrote in message
news:2oc7vpF93mh6U1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns954761C0768BAblurryvision@24.93.43.119...
> > Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
> >
> <SNIP>
>
> yea its there, it on 11836 H 7180
> v/a/pcr 1160/1120/1160
>
> it scans in as "ascent media" and scans in as encrypted signal, but its
> clear
>
>

I also found Ascent Media, but... it is fully encrypted at this moment.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:18:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"m0nkey" <allah@achtung.com> wrote in news:2oc7vpF93mh6U1@uni-berlin.de:

> "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns954761C0768BAblurryvision@24.93.43.119...
>> Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
>>
><SNIP>
>
> yea its there, it on 11836 H 7180
> v/a/pcr 1160/1120/1160
>
> it scans in as "ascent media" and scans in as encrypted signal, but its
> clear
>
>
>

======

Thanks for the detailed info. I will try again later on today.

What kind of receiver are you using? If necessary, I will buy another
receiver in order to watch that channel.

PON
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 12:39:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"m0nkey" <allah@achtung.com> wrote in news:2oc7vpF93mh6U1@uni-berlin.de:

> "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns954761C0768BAblurryvision@24.93.43.119...
>> Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
>>
><SNIP>
>
> yea its there, it on 11836 H 7180
> v/a/pcr 1160/1120/1160
>
> it scans in as "ascent media" and scans in as encrypted signal, but its
> clear
>
>
>

============

OK, here is one more follow-up and I have reached a disapointing
conclusion .... I will not be able to receive this channel at all unless
they make some changes in the future. I will have to keep watching and
waiting.

I spent the last couple of hours trying and here are my results. By
scanning the IA6 satellite, I get 17 channels. They are as follows ...

1 CBS NEWSPATH 11711 V 14.312
2 CBS 11727 V 3.979
3 SATELLINK 11742 V 3.979
4 Service 1 11834 V 3.979
5 TV602 11865 V 20.505
6 UNIVERSITY NETW 11865 V 3.516
7 ABC NEWSNOW 12042 V 3.979
8 VIDCOM PATH 1 12049 H 4.104
9 ABSAT NYC 1 12053 V 3.979
10 Service 1 12060 H 4.104
11 Service 1 12085 H 4.104
12 T6/24/CHA 12110 H 4.104
13 MIDWEST_UPLINK 12116 H 4.104
14 FOX NEWS 12121 H 4.104
15 FNC/Channel 1 12126 H 4.104
16 T6 K24 D5A FOX AI 12132 H 3.105
17 VIDEO MAY 12173 V 3.000

Since my receiver does not have "blind search" I manually entered the
data that you supplied above .... freq=11836 H SR=7.180, etc. When I did
it was possible to see a very weak signal which had a Level of 16% and a
Quality of 0%. This tells me that it is being broadcast on a spot beam
and that I am not in the coverage area. My exact location is near the
spot where Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas come together at a common point.

As I said, it is a big dissapointment but I now know the answer.

Thanks for your assistance,

PON
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 6:13:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in
news:Xns95479F6CFC3Bblurryvision@24.93.43.121:

>
> Since my receiver does not have "blind search" I manually entered the
> data that you supplied above .... freq=11836 H SR=7.180, etc. When I
> did it was possible to see a very weak signal which had a Level of 16%
> and a Quality of 0%. This tells me that it is being broadcast on a
> spot beam and that I am not in the coverage area. My exact location is
> near the spot where Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas come together at a
> common point.
>
> As I said, it is a big dissapointment but I now know the answer.
>
> Thanks for your assistance,
>
> PON
>
>

++++++++++++++

I will make one final follow-up to this thread.

I now notice that Lyngsat has removed this channel from its listings.

At http://www.lyngsat.com/ia6.html instead of "Classic Art Showcase" the
listing at for freq=11836H now simply says "feeds".

And at http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html under "Classic
Art Showcase" they only list the G1R analog signal as being available
for this service.

I guess it was a temporary situation and maybe I just missed it. It does
give me a glimmer of hope that maybe they are making moves toward making
their service available via DVD-FTA in the near future.

PON
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 10:42:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote (in part):

>I now notice that Lyngsat has removed this channel from its listings.
>
>At http://www.lyngsat.com/ia6.html instead of "Classic Art Showcase" the
>listing at for freq=11836H now simply says "feeds".
>
>And at http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html under "Classic
>Art Showcase" they only list the G1R analog signal as being available
>for this service.
>
>I guess it was a temporary situation and maybe I just missed it. It does
>give me a glimmer of hope that maybe they are making moves toward making
>their service available via DVD-FTA in the near future.
>
> PON

New York Network feeds 9 DVB channels on AMC5/16U. Some scrambled,
some FTA. Check Lyngsat for specs. Channel 2 is a feed for NY cable
companies that want to carry it as an educational access channel.
They carry Classic Arts for an hour at a time several times per day,
plus overnight on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Their typical weekly
schedule is at http://www.nyn.suny.edu//cable/block_schedule.htm

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 1:27:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Just a thought...why don't you just get a used C-band receiver that
you can probably get free or next to nothing by any full-service
satellite shop? Then you can get this channel and others...
bumblebee

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:35:56 GMT, "Pseud O. Nym"
<pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote:

>Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
>
>If so ..... how ???
>
>
>The listing at http://www.lyngsat.com/ia6.html shows that the "Intelsat
>Americas 6 at 93.0°W" satellite is now carrying "Classic Arts Showcase"
>on a frequency of 11386 horizontal with a Symbol Rate of 7180.
>
>The website http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/get.html does not mention
>that this channel is available via satellite other than C-band.
>
>In the past I have found the Lyngsat listings to be very accurate and
>timely, but I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to pick up this
>channel with my Fortec Lifetime receiver. I tried "satellite scan" and
>found nothing on that frequency, but I did find a few backhaul feeds from
>the hurricane damaged area of Florida plus Gene Scott's "University
>Network" plus Bloomberg and a few more channels. My Fortec is a Lifetime
>(pre-March '04) so I don't have the blind search feature. I also tried
>the "Advanced Scan" feature by keying in the frequency mentioned on
>Lyngsat but got no channel. I also tried the "Network Scan" and the
>listing did not contain the "11386 H" freq .... there was a listing for
>"11384 V".
>
>The Lyngsat listing shows it to be DVB. It does not specifically say that
>it is FTA but I am sure that it would be because it has always been a
>FREE channel. It runs a banner periodically proclaiming that it is FREE
>and will always be FREE. Of all the channels up there this is my all-time
>favorite and if I could receive it on Ku-DVB-FTA, I would immediately
>install a locked-down and dedicated dish and maybe even a separate
>receiver just to receive this channel 24/7. Many years ago, I kept a C-
>band dish dedicated to receive this channel, but growth of my neighbor's
>trees has made that option impossible these days.
>
>I am at my wit's end. I can only conclude that the Lyngsat listing is
>incorrect. If anyone can receive this channel, please let me know what
>type of receiver is required. Thanks .....
>
> PON
>
>
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 9:22:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

bumblebee <crystalvideo@starband.net> wrote in
news:rteej0h80bc1pg0440mvrvgsbd7pb9u9f7@4ax.com:

> Just a thought...why don't you just get a used C-band receiver that
> you can probably get free or next to nothing by any full-service
> satellite shop? Then you can get this channel and others...
> bumblebee
>

====

Thanks for the comment, but it does not work in my situation.

The satellite is to low in the western skies so that it is blocked by
trees on my neighbor's property.

I had a C-band satellite dish from approximately 1978-2003. In 1978 you
could not buy C-band dishes but I knew someone in the microwave tower
business so I was able to buy it for $250 and build my own C-band
receiver equipment. I finally removed it and since it was a solid spun
aluminum commercial dish I was able to find a better use for it. I turned
it face-down and painted it green and mounted it on 8-foot poles and used
it as a roof for a garden gazebo.

I have another 10 foot mesh dish that was given to me but at the present
time I have it dissassembled and stored away.

I think that the "Classic Arts Showcase" channel will probably become
available as a DVB channel someday. It is no longer listed on Lyngsat so
I think that it was just a very temporary situation. Some were able to
see it but I missed it.

Again thank,

PON
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 9:22:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

And to think some of us wouldn't even think to consider taking down our Big
dishes -for ANY reason!

*Almost,if not broadcast quality video (s-video on 922 is fabulous!)
* Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Surround sound(Not messed up like the DBS
companies often do!)
* choice in channels,choice in programming purchase.
* 84 movie channels(counting west feeds).Around 40 otherwise.
* mpeg-2 dvb free to air
* free to air 4dtv channels
*free analog
*wildfeeds
* able to watch during a blinding snowstorm with the dish half full of
snow!Try that on a Pizza dish!


.....the list goes on....

"Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95587E0C33CCAblurryvision@24.93.43.121...
> bumblebee <crystalvideo@starband.net> wrote in
> news:rteej0h80bc1pg0440mvrvgsbd7pb9u9f7@4ax.com:
>
> > Just a thought...why don't you just get a used C-band receiver that
> > you can probably get free or next to nothing by any full-service
> > satellite shop? Then you can get this channel and others...
> > bumblebee
> >
>
> ====
>
> Thanks for the comment, but it does not work in my situation.
>
> The satellite is to low in the western skies so that it is blocked by
> trees on my neighbor's property.
>
> I had a C-band satellite dish from approximately 1978-2003. In 1978 you
> could not buy C-band dishes but I knew someone in the microwave tower
> business so I was able to buy it for $250 and build my own C-band
> receiver equipment. I finally removed it and since it was a solid spun
> aluminum commercial dish I was able to find a better use for it. I turned
> it face-down and painted it green and mounted it on 8-foot poles and used
> it as a roof for a garden gazebo.
>
> I have another 10 foot mesh dish that was given to me but at the present
> time I have it dissassembled and stored away.
>
> I think that the "Classic Arts Showcase" channel will probably become
> available as a DVB channel someday. It is no longer listed on Lyngsat so
> I think that it was just a very temporary situation. Some were able to
> see it but I missed it.
>
> Again thank,
>
> PON
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 8/27/2004
!