Sign in with
Your question

Question about WD100JB noise

Last response: in Storage
June 6, 2002 11:42:33 PM

I have two HD's. One is WD 30gig drive and the other is a WD 100gig drive with 8mb cache. I noticed that the 8mb cache drive is alot noiser then my regular drive. Is this normal?

So ram I'm not having any problems and am really liking this drive. I was just wondering if the drive is louder then the WD 30 gig drive.

You have exceeded the limit use of your current pointing device, reboot NOW!

More about : question wd100jb noise

June 7, 2002 2:14:06 AM

Yes it will be noticeably louder in full operation, as long as its working alright make mental a note of its noises and listen for any drastic changes, otherwise don't worry about it. Your 100Gig should be a higher Rpm than the 30Gig so its going to make more noise.
June 7, 2002 3:33:40 AM

Actually both of them are 7,200rpm drives (I dont settle for less). I'm not as worried much now because its been just as noisy since I got it like a month and a half ago. My schools computers dont sound any better either heh.

Related resources
June 7, 2002 3:42:47 AM

If the 30 gig drive you're comparing it to is a WD300BB then yes, the 1000JB is louder, as is the 1200JB. The new 800JB however is virtually silent.
June 7, 2002 4:08:09 AM

Ah ok, thanx for clearing that up. I was getting worried my drive is commiting suicide =]

The 30 gig drive is WD300BBRTL (RTL I'm guessing stands for the Retail box =P)

!