CPU: i7-3770k
MOBO: MSI Z77A-GD65
RAM: 32GB 1600MHz
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
GPU: GTX 680 SLI
Monitor: 3x Asus VH242 (5760x1080)
Network Adapter: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
Network Connection: Dlink DHP-311AV Powerline Adapter

Online games (BF3 and Diablo3 @5760x1080) played fine (for hours) through all the updates, until I installed SP1. Now within 5 minutes of BF3 MP, I lose the internet connection. In D3, my character does not appear on the map. After disabling the network adapter, rebooting the PC, and enabling the adapter, the internet connection is restored. Normal browsing (surfing and video streaming) seems okay. My laptop (running Win7 Prof) does not have any issues running diablo3 @1080p. The PC runs Diablo3 @ 1080p fine also, but BF3 still has issues. To see if its the Dlink PL adapter, I tried connecting through an old modem, which leads me to my 2nd problem:

2) This modem and router has been faithful to me for four years:
Modem: Motorola SB5101 Surfboard modem
Router (wireless): Linksys WRT120N Wireless N Home Router

This modem is the 2nd being installed in the house. The first one has a coax and a phone line. The 2nd just has a coax connection. All the lights are on, the router is putting out a signal and all the drivers are installed, but there's no internet connection. Before I go buying another modem, will I need a modem with both a coax and phone line for internet or is there another issue?

Regarding the second modem, I assume the phone port is for VOIP. And if that's the case, then there's no reason you need a second modem w/ a phone port unless you want VOIP over that modem as well. But having a modem w/ a phone port doesn't hurt either, you just don't use it.

g0rd0

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

That sounds like a classic resource conflict. One of the greatest things about new OS installs is that there's little to lose reinstalling them. It won't be fun, but a reinstall where you did system, security, productivity, and game installs in that order, and one at a time, may well make the problem vanish.

A shortcut may be to uninstall bf3 and d3, update everything and then reinstall, but given that both are producing errors...

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

what about a repair install? (got a feeling it might not accomplish much, but I thought I would ask)
when doing a fresh install, should I wait until the PC downloads and installs all the updates and SP1 before installing any productivity and games?

g0rd0

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
A repair install can work, though in the field I'd say I get about a 20% success rate from it, and it addresses windows issues, this sounds more like an application issue.

And yes, install win and all it's updates, update your drivers, install firefox and avg, install anything else you need, like quickbooks or daemon tools, and install games last. Your list will of course vary, but system, security, productivity, games is a good rule of thumb. Or try the shortcut, if you want to preserve game data just copy it to a folder on the desktop before uninstalling.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Did a complete reinstall with all the updates prior to installing anything else other than drivers and still I get a disconnect within five minutes of BF3. Just to test my connection, I downloaded BF3 through my origin account (all 16gb plus an extra 3gb content) with no problem. Now crysis 2, just single player, the connection is out after exiting the game. I don't know if it happens before or during or after the game. The network driver has to be disabled either before or after rebooting the PC before the connection can be restored.

Edit: After talking to MSI Tech Support, the problem maybe with the MB: a degrading LAN controller :(