Can't move bookmark.htm or .txt items from XP to 7?

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I just built my first computer and I have Windows 7 Ulimate as the OS, and I simply wanted to move my favorites from my old XP to this one, via a USB drive. This is a simple process, and basically it's moving them from IE to IE. I go through the process, which is very straightforward, I put it on the USB drive from my old computer easy enough, and when I try to import it from my USB drive on the new computer......at the end it says "some settings were not imported successfully" and then I check favorites, and not one thing has been imported.

I also tried moving a .txt file off a flash drive to my documents, just to see if it would do it. It won't. Says the file is corrupted or something like that, can't exactly remember. Got an error code, but can't remember that. Any idea why I can't do this? Thanks in advance!

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I got the error message again...here it is:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

It's a simple text document.....so why am I getting this, simply trying to import favorites from a USB drive, or a simple text document, for that matter? I can transfer some music I have on there....so it doesn't make sense. Thanks in advance for any input. This is frustrating because it should be really simple.

daysyang

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
on xp ie export favorite you should get bookmark.htm... you can test double clicking it should open ie with list of your favorites... copy this file from pc to thumb drive. insert into new pc copy over to desktop double click, if it opens up in ie with list of fav its working. go to ie import favorite from your desktop

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I had already done all this, but I tried it again, just for the heck of it.

Went to the XP machine, exported my favorites from IE to the desktop, double clicked it.....it opened with a list of links....closed it, and went to send it to the usb drive by right clicking>send to, and selected the usb drive, and it says
Cannot copy book mark: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

THAT really doesn't make sense.

daysyang

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
so the problem is your thumb drive... if you have access to the internet on both machines just attach the bookmark.htm file and email it to yourself... the file should be small since its just shortcuts. have you tried reformatting your thumb drive?

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I don't have internet access to both machines, and I'm not sure how to refomat the thumb drive. I guess that will sound strange to you after I just built a computer lol.

daysyang

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
lol... yes... im was assuming you need ie shortcuts to access online sites, so i assume you have internet access.
but anyways to format your thumb drive just stick it in your pc
right click-->format-->choose fat32(should be default)-->click start
after its done try coping files to it... hope this helps

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Isn't that going to wipe everything off that drive though?

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I tried this, and it sort of worked. Only bad part is I got the "bookmark" file into the favorites folder in windows 7, except when I click favorites in IE, it shows their default crap.....and at the bottom of that short list is "bookmark" I want the list of bookmarks.....not have to open the bookmark file, or what the hell........I'm still doing something really simple, wrong. I just built this computer, and this is kicking my ass?? Something is wrong, lol.

daysyang

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
you should be able to put everything back on to your thumb drive unless its broken
create a folder on desktop call it back up... throw everything from thumb drive into it.
format the thumb drive and test it by putting txt or doc files on it, try transferring those files to the other pc. if everything works put your data from backup folder back on your thumb drive... you should be go to go.

daysyang

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
seems like you got it working now... you just have to place it in the right area.... you can do this by just clicking on it with your mouse and dragging it to the spot you want and after that delete the folder if you dont want it.

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I actually plugged the thumb drive into one of the back ports on the case.....right into the motherboard, as opposed to the USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case, which by the way, is having an issue.....Corsair is replacing that front I/O panel(one port had a physical defect.......and I used the import/export thing in IE....worked fine. So not really sure what's going on, but it worked.

I actually let windows 7 scan that usb drive, because some message came up saying I should, so I let it. It scanned it, I guess, but when it was done.......or at least appeared to be done.....the green bar was all the way across.....the stupid window wouldn't close, didn't tell me it was done "repairing" or whatever, I couldn't cancel, couldn't click the red x and close the window.....nothing. I rebooted, then it went to a black screen with some text that said USB over something detected.....with a couple exclamation points, and said the system woulkd shut down in 15 seconds, and it did. Couldn't reboot into BIOS....nothing. Called Corsair(it's their 500R case) and they had me unplug the cable connecting the USB 3.0 ports to the header on the motherborad, and it booted right up, so maybe the entire issue is that front panel, which they are sending.

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Yes...the one port isn't defective, and seemed to be working. The problem started when I told windows to do that scan, or whatever it was. The guy at Corsair he rarely lets windows repair anything....and he's had big problems doing that. I have no idea what the real problem is.

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah, the message I got on reboot was

USB Device Over Current Status Detected !!
System will Shut Down After 15 Seconds.

Upon Googling it, it seems it can be caused by a short of some kind, eople tightening their motherboards too much, a bad usb port, which is what my cause seems to be. One of the contacts on one of my front USB ports was bent backwards, and I got some message about some kind of power surge exceeding the USB drives limit, so it would seem, at this point, everything is pointing at that port being bad. I've removed the cable from that header, and a new front panel is on the way. Hopefully that will be it.

TRENDING THREADS