Advice for wireless network setup

To start off let me explain my house. It is the size of a 3 story townhouse but it actually has 5 floors, they aren't straight up I guess. The walls and floors are concrete so signal seems to be an issue for wifi connectivity. Right now my configuration is as follows:

Fritzbox 7390 - DSL Modem/router/N and G wifi located on 3rd floor
WRT160N - WAP/wired router in basement connected to Fritz box via G wifi and wired to PC and printer as well as a LAN over Power line
LAN over power line - only connected to Xbox at the moment on3rd floor to stream media from PC

I also have an Apple tv 2g on the 5th floor connected via fritz N wifi so I can stream iTunes media to a tv. The connection to the apple tv worked for a few days but now it seems to fail all the time. I tried streaming media to the Xbox as well as a PS3 over wireless but it always times out, that I why I am trying the LAN over power. I also tried sing a E3000 as a WAP but couldn't seem to get DDWRT to cooperate so it isn't being used right now.

Any suggestions on how I can get this house better connected so I can have a reliable network throughout the house without breaking the bank? I am currently stationed in Germany, but am originally from the US so if I were to buy anything it would need to have an English interface, I am already having enough problems with the fritz box since it is only on German.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially by my wife.

Thank you in advance.
1 answer Last reply
More about advice wireless network setup
  1. If you don't want to run ethernet cables, then it sounds like you are an excellent candidate for 802.11ac.

Netgear Announces 2-stream 802.11ac R6200 router and A6200 USB 2.0 adapter
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Network Wireless Networking