Severe issue

alexashka

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Heey everybody,

First day in community. :) I'm experiencing a serious issue and appreciate any insides you guyz can provide. Thanx. :)
Original system:
1.ASUS P4B266/Northwood/512/1.6GHZ/Gainward GeForceMX2 400/19' LCD by Viewsonic via VGA interface.
--------------------------------------------------

Few months ago this system was working just fine. A month or so ago I've decided to upgrade to GeForce4 4200 by Gainward ULTRA 650XP/128MB.

--------------------------------------------------------
2. First upgraded system

1.ASUS P4B266/Northwood/512/1.6GHZ/Gainward GeForce4 4200 ULTRA 650/XP/128MB /19' LCD by Viewsonic via DVI interface.
------------------------------------------------------
I've upgraded to this card and made a clean install of XP. Everything was working fine except one fatal issue. When clicking on Gaming Controllers the system shows error in run32dll.exe. That's mean I can play all games that doesn't involve joystick. I thought ok it's probably incompatibility between motherboard and the video card so I went and bought ASUSP4B533-E based on 845E chipset.
---------------------------------------------------------
3. Second upgraded system

1.ASUS P4B533-E/Northwood/512/1.6GHZ/Gainward GeForce4 4200 ULTRA 650/XP/128MB /19' LCD by Viewsonic via DVI interface.

The issue is still here. Also would like to add one vital detail currently I don't have any PCI cards installed. Motherboard have everything I need at a time. Now I thought Ok, incompatibility between sound chip by C-Media on motherboard and Video card. Disabled it trough the BIOS and issue is still here. :-((( So after that around 2 weeks ago I've tried contact Gainward support... SO far they're not responding. And than I've came to conclusion that it is indeed the card and not motherboard nor sound chip. So I've flashed the BIOS and tried 5 or 6 different NVIDIA revisions WHCL approved and beta ones still no effect. Gainward's support for some reason don't have a time to answer my e-mail. Or perhaps they've tried to replicate this issue in the lab conditions and got the same result which is not that tough to do because of the absence of all the PCI add-in cards. It's only motherboard/video card and monitor. So I've tried to analyse the case without Gainward's assistance and only few minutes ago before writing this post came to conclusion. I've started having this issue when changed GF2MX400 to GF4200/128MB but what's the other differences?... The only difference is that I'm feeding my monitor not trough the VGA15pin but trough DVI directly from 4200!! :-( I'm working 2 hours from home so I haven't tested my suspicions yet but have a "gut feeling" that it may be the case. If this is the case, probably gonna go for Radeon 8500/128MB. I wanna use DVI. The differences between VGA feed and DVI feed are enormous. The level of detail that can be viewed is totally amazing! :) It's sad that NVIDIA or Gainward testing labs haven't cached this issue. It may not ring the bell for them because not a lot of people using LCD trough DVI and that's probably why they're ignoring me. "Who cares if someone having this problem, let's just skip it...." But with time when more and more people will start using DVI it may become a waaay bigger issue for Gainward or NVIDIA.... The last few statements is not factual but more of a speculative nature. But highly based suspicions.

Any insides would be greatly appreciated. If I wouldn't be able to resolve it somehow within a week or so gonna go for 8500/128MB with DVI.

Thanx for listening to the ventings of upset and exausted fellow! :) :) :) Later. Sasha. (Plz take with the grain of salt but I still would like to resolve it somehow..)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
nVidia has been producing poor quality drivers lately. Did you try removing the nVidia driver and using a previous version? I hear the 23.x revisions are the most stable.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
First, ya need to go to your Device Manager and check for conflicts or malfunctions. Perhaps a direct installation of the audio/multimedia drivers of the chipset that's on your board will correct this delima. Sometimes, when running the program that the drivers come with, the drivers do not install corectly. So you may need to reinstall the drivers through Windows. If it's not a driver issue, perhaps if the hardware will let you, a change in the DMA and/or IRQ will resolve the situation. This is where I would begin.

Kill a man, you're a murdered. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all, you're a GOD