Can't detect DVD-ROM

Washington

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
I have a Pioneer DVD106S drive and an Abit KT7A motherboard. My problem is that the BIOS sometimes does not detect the drive at boot-up. I have tried EVERYTHING to get it to detect reliably (latest BIOS, new cables -80 way or 40-way, master/slave settings, VIA chipset drivers, tried both IDE channels, re-installed operating system etc) but no luck. When it is found it works perfectly. This is an ATA66 drive and I have heard that it does not like being on a shared IDE channel or being used with 40 way cables. But I am not doing this and still detection fails. Someone has mentioned detection failure might be to do with the power supply - a have a good 300W power supply fitted but this seems the only thing left that could be wrong. Unless the drive has a fault but I don't think it has. Any other ideas much appreciated - this is very frustrating as its a superb drive.

Washington

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Already tried, also tried setting IDE device to "none" but makes no difference. I should also mention that I have a Yamaha CD writer which is always detected and I have also used a Liteon drive in the past which also gave no problems. It's just the Pioneer that my computer does not like.