RESEND: Internet connection happens delayed with MN-500

Resending due to no response.
-----------
Hi,

I have a home network setup with MN-500 as the router and
a high-speed internet connection. I have one desktop
computer connected to the router through ethernet cable.
When I turn on that computer, internet is immediately
there - no problem.

I also have a laptop that is using the wireless
connection. When I turn on the laptop, it sees the
wireless home network and says "connected". Everything
seems alright. However, the *actual* internet connection
does not show up for at least 2 minutes. For instance, I
can not browse any websites within the first 2 minutes.
Then all of a sudden, I can start browsing when the first
2 minutes is over.

I know for certain that the problem is not on the laptop.
Because if try to use my neighbour's open wireless
network (shhh!) I get the internet connection immediately.

My neighbor has unsecure network. Mine has 64 bit
encryption. The firmware is latest on MN-500 and I have
DELL Latitude D600 as the laptop.

Any suggestions, recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks,
Serdar.
6 answers Last reply
More about resend internet connection delayed

    what operating system and what wireless card on the laptop?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    WinXP Pro and standard Latitude D600 wireless card (it
    should be Intel PRO Wireless 2100 WLAN)

    I'm not familiar w/ the MN-500, but many wireless routers permit disabling
    of SSID broadcasting. Many people attempt to disable this as a security
    measure, but this is fraught w/ problems on a Microsoft network. MS in fact
    does not support it:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

    The reason it got my attention was the fact you mentioned a neighbor's
    wireless network. If your SSID is not being broadcast, while your
    neighbor's *is*, your wireless client will attempt to connect to the
    neighbor's system, even though the SSIDs probably don't match (dumb, but
    that's the way MS designed it, read the document). What I'm thinking is
    perhaps it eventually gives up, then finds your network, and everything is
    fine.

    So what's the moral? Always leave SSID broadcasting ON.

    Just speculating.

    Jim

    "Serdar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Resending due to no response.
    > -----------
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a home network setup with MN-500 as the router and
    > a high-speed internet connection. I have one desktop
    > computer connected to the router through ethernet cable.
    > When I turn on that computer, internet is immediately
    > there - no problem.
    >
    > I also have a laptop that is using the wireless
    > connection. When I turn on the laptop, it sees the
    > wireless home network and says "connected". Everything
    > seems alright. However, the *actual* internet connection
    > does not show up for at least 2 minutes. For instance, I
    > can not browse any websites within the first 2 minutes.
    > Then all of a sudden, I can start browsing when the first
    > 2 minutes is over.
    >
    > I know for certain that the problem is not on the laptop.
    > Because if try to use my neighbour's open wireless
    > network (shhh!) I get the internet connection immediately.
    >
    > My neighbor has unsecure network. Mine has 64 bit
    > encryption. The firmware is latest on MN-500 and I have
    > DELL Latitude D600 as the laptop.
    >
    > Any suggestions, recommendations are very welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Serdar.

    check for updates from Dell/Intel for this card.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Trust me, I've got everything latest on my operating
    system and wireless card drivers. I also have the latest
    firmware on MN-500. What else can I try out, any
    suggestions?

    don't use the Intel utility to configure the wireless. use Windows
    XP's native Wireless Zero Configuration.

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:23:55 -0700,

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Routers Laptops Internet Connection Networking