Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Best antivirus overall?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
a b 8 Security
a b è Antivirus
a b * Windows 8
February 11, 2013 8:07:46 PM

I only use Norton and Gdata Internet Security
February 11, 2013 8:11:00 PM

Kaspersky is probably the second best AV out there, right behind BitDefender.
Related resources
February 11, 2013 8:11:14 PM

Of the 2 options I would take kaspersky over Norton any day of the week.

Mactronix :) 
February 11, 2013 8:19:17 PM

So far, the best antiviruses I've ever used (and I tried tons of them throughout my life), happened to be ESET's "Smart Security" and Doctor Web PRO. Doctor Web is a Russian antivirus by default, but I think you can still buy it outside Russia just fine, it's a high-quality, high-productivity, low resource-consuming (runs very fast on any system) antivirus that has the best auto-scan I've ever seen in my life, it also won several major antivirus awards...lol, this sounds like a commercial, or something. %)
February 11, 2013 8:22:54 PM

I've been using MSE on three pc's since it's been available (several years) and only had one issue. It's free...
a b 8 Security
a b * Windows 8
February 11, 2013 8:48:02 PM

Hi :) 

Norton...

All the best Brett :) 
February 11, 2013 8:51:00 PM

master_chen said:
So far, the best antiviruses I've ever used (and I tried tons of them throughout my life), happened to be ESET's "Smart Security" and Doctor Web PRO. Doctor Web is a Russian antivirus by default, but I think you can still buy it outside Russia just fine, it's a high-quality, high-productivity, low resource-consuming (runs very fast on any system) antivirus that has the best auto-scan I've ever seen in my life, it also won several major antivirus awards...lol, this sounds like a commercial, or something. %)


i use dr webs or relatives computers


by that i mean to remove virus's because they are convinced there anti-virus is good and keep allowing things to run lol


and they wonder why they keep getting viruses?
February 11, 2013 8:56:57 PM

I use AVG free and I'm very happy with it.
February 11, 2013 9:01:02 PM

Never ask this question because you will get different answers from everyone as you can see. Most anitvirus software are about the same. Just get the one that is on sale (often times they are like $10 -$20 after rebate for a year, sometimes they are even free!). Just never pay full price for a subscription. If you wan free, go with AVG antivirus. MSE sucks balls.
February 11, 2013 9:15:35 PM

Make sure you are not running as admin all the time. Create an admin/installer account and downgrade the other user accounts to standard (create the new admin account first).
February 11, 2013 9:26:37 PM

shanky887614 said:
i use dr webs or relatives computers


by that i mean to remove virus's because they are convinced there anti-virus is good and keep allowing things to run lol


and they wonder why they keep getting viruses?


English language, do you speak it? Whatever you do, don't use "Google Translate". :\
I think that I understood your message, but...man...seriously... :\
February 11, 2013 9:42:42 PM

I've been running Avast! for sooo long and I can't even remember the last virus I had.....
If you hit a web page that has virus or malicious code it will shut down the connection right away!!
And best of all It's free as all av programs should be...
JQ
February 11, 2013 10:20:45 PM

truly bitdefender and kaspersky rate the highest by independant study.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

this can be a bit much to read through. Kaspersky has been on top for a long time also.
I used MSE but somethings got through.
AVG has worked well for me in the last year and it is free
I do some questionable things on my computer and the only "full proof" anti-virus was kaspersky but I do not want to pay for it anymore.
February 12, 2013 6:06:24 AM

So now its Bitdefender 2013 total security vs norton 360 since i have never used bitdefender should i get it? I heard that bitdefender causes lg in your computer, is it true? if yes i will get norton 360
February 12, 2013 7:41:08 AM

zcosmin said:
I heard that bitdefender causes lag in your computer.


Better get Doctor Web then. It's small in size, but doesn't lack in functionality and ultra-fast at everything.
If you want highly reliable but at the same time extremely fast antivirus, definitely try Doctor Web.

P.S. I'm sounding like an advertiser again... >_>
a b 8 Security
a b è Antivirus
a b * Windows 8
February 12, 2013 8:13:59 AM

norton 360 < I only like the Norton INTERNET Security,don't care for 360 version.
February 12, 2013 8:19:19 AM

Kaspersky Pure.
February 13, 2013 1:14:26 AM

If your running a modern machine then I doubt you would find any lag from bitdefender. I have just the antivirus running on my wifes laptop(i5 2450 or something) and I see no issues.
February 13, 2013 2:52:25 PM

Just a question - But no one has mentioned the inbuilt AV that comes in Windows 8...this topic is in the Windows 8 thread....

I used to use MS Security Essentials, but if I was forced to use anotehr it would be Avast.
As it is - I'm using the Windows 8 AV...it works, it's smooth...etc...!
February 13, 2013 3:20:46 PM

kalten said:
Just a question - But no one has mentioned the inbuilt AV that comes in Windows 8...this topic is in the Windows 8 thread....

I used to use MS Security Essentials, but if I was forced to use anotehr it would be Avast.
As it is - I'm using the Windows 8 AV...it works, it's smooth...etc...!



Well the op asked which was better and offered us two options to choose from, offering additional advice would only be something I would do if there was a noticeably better option or if there was something obviously wrong with both options given.
Hence my answer, Kaspersky over Norton any day.

Mactronix :) 
February 13, 2013 3:32:03 PM

Personally I use the paid version of Avast. Havent had a single virus since I switched from norton.
February 13, 2013 3:41:31 PM

Azn Cracker said:
Never ask this question because you will get different answers from everyone as you can see. Most anitvirus software are about the same. Just get the one that is on sale (often times they are like $10 -$20 after rebate for a year, sometimes they are even free!). Just never pay full price for a subscription. If you wan free, go with AVG antivirus. MSE sucks balls.

Correct - but to be honest it's like that for almost any other issue/question also. I disagree with the MSE comment though. I've had real problems with "premium" AV software in the past, and I can tell you that I've not had any problems with MSE. Does it get the gold seal like some of those other pieces of software - apparently not. Does it work for me even when those other "golden" AV solutions failed? Yes. I use it with confidence, and the same I can't claim for those times when I used Norton (3 versions), BitDefender (GameSafe Edition), and various iterations of McAfee. The only paid-for AV that I couldn't really fault was F-Secure. Most people who are actually concerned about malware should just clone their system partition and restore in case all hell breaks loose.
February 13, 2013 3:46:12 PM

Smart user techniques!

I've always used free Avast!, free Malwarebytes, and free Spybot 2 in addition to common since and updating common programs and plugins.

The only Virus I've ever had was obtained while using Kaspersky, which could neither detect, nor remove it. After uninstalling it and installing free AVG, I was able to remove it.

I'm been using free AV software since. AND KNOWLEDGE!!!
February 14, 2013 12:58:55 AM

Kaspersky is the highest rated Anti-Virus on the market and the one I reccomend to my customers
February 14, 2013 5:03:54 PM

I will get Kaspersky 2013 PURE, thanks guys
a b 8 Security
a b * Windows 8
February 14, 2013 5:08:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
!